Sunday, October 31, 2010

Restore unto me the joy of candy corn

It's been awhile and lots has transpired. First, and most importantly:

1. I came to the rather shocking realization that I no longer like candy corn. I know. First the cholera in Haiti and now this. I used to really like candy corn. I would stock up with several bags of the Brach's (both plain candy corn AND the Autumn Mix, which has those pumpkins, once so delectable to me) and would enjoy them throughout October and November, if they lasted. This year I started seeing them in the stores in September and each time I would think to myself, "Nah, it just doesn't sound good today." And now, here we are, Reformation Day, in which we of the Reformed Persuasion eat lots of candy and ponder the Theses anew, and I still have not bought a single bag of candy corn. It's just sad. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I...

2. Turned FORTY. Yes. Four decades of living. And eating candy corn. Only apparently my FORTY year old taste buds can no longer handle the copious amounts of whatever is in candy corn to make it taste so good and look so bright and waxy.

3. For my birthday I got a hammock, in which I have spent a considerable amount of time swaying and pondering the leaves and the sky and the whole FOUR decades business:


4. Apparently this morning my email was overtaken by some sort of Virus which sent my entire address book a little piece of its single stranded RNA. I did not check my email until late this afternoon and I was just mortified. Fie, technology, FIE! A pox on you and your Matrix!

5. Two weeks ago, we had lots of fun with friends at Oil Ranch:




Harper did her own hair AND didn't seem to mind one bit that her sunglasses blew a lens.

6. The husband and I got to have a date--a birthday party for another professor at his school and we were by far the least interesting, least educated people there. The guests included Ukrainians, Russians, Belarussians, Armenians, Bulgarians, and a couple from West Africa (Sierra Leone and Liberia). We had such a good time listening to their stories.

7. The kids and I spent a week with my parents. We went to the PN-G homecoming game--their first football experience. They were duly impressed with all of the feathers and dancing and jumping and drumming and yelling and cousins:


Grandfather Pate helped Hudson start his own garage band:

and invited us to a car show:
The beauty in the background is Grandfather Pate's 1970 Cougar. As you can see, she wins lots of prizes. As you can also see, Harper and Hudson are flat out crazy about that Grandfather Pate.

Helena, meanwhile, spent most of the week draped in Mardi Gras baubles:

8. Helena is at a trot all day long unless she is sleeping. It is very cute and exhausting. The end.

4 comments:

Zoe said...

A hammock, how nice! We've always talked about getting one. Maybe for my 40th. :)
And the one-eyed sunglasses made me laugh out loud. (I cannot bring myself to use the term 'lol' as the rest of the world seems to, but truly, it did make me laugh). ;)

Patti said...

You should get a hammock. Sooner rather than later. They really aren't very expensive.

The glasses made me giggle the whole day--because they looked so silly AND because she really seemed oblivious to the fact that only the one eye was being shaded from the glaring sun.

Lisa said...

Patti, I am so sorry! How did I miss it? You turned forty! Congratulations. You are a great looking 40. I think you told me the exact date once, but I've forgotten. Please refresh my memory.

bethany said...

Happy belated birthday! The perfect birthday gift now that it's finally tolerable to be outdoors again. And I also realized recently that I hate candy corn. Unless chocolate is involved, I'm not interested. And with all of the hormonal havoc our bodies have experienced in recent years, I imagine a lot more has changed than our affinity for candy corn.