Monday, December 15, 2008

to ransom captive Israel

Well, I went and ruined my perfect attendance at the December Blog Challenge. It is really hard to blog every day. On our way to church we pass a new strip mall and most of the upper floor is taken up with a Krav Maga studio. Do you know what that means? It's the specialized form of self defense utilized by the Israeli army. And, apparently, the next new exercise craze. So put away your gentle pilates and your yoga mat and get ready to beat up on somebody. I find it kind of intriguing. Perhaps when I am no longer great with child I'll go try it out. I was in Israel for a couple of weeks back in the late 90's and I have to say that those Israeli soldiers did make me feel oddly safe. Though it could've been more about the AK-47 they had casually flung across their backs than any mastery of Krav Maga they possessed. It was odd seeing these 18 year old boys and girls in their Abercrombie and Fitch (or whatever the hip, Middle Eastern equivalent was) just waiting in line at the kosher McDonalds with this enormous weapon at the ready. I had my first falafel in Israel. And pita and hummus. Plus, you know, walked in the footsteps of Jesus and stuff. I wonder what Jesus would think about Krav Maga.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I watched a show about Krav Maga on the History channel recently. Those people were fierce.

Patti said...

I used to teach Krav Maga. I kept using Goju Ryu to defeat everyone though and they kicked me out.

Patti said...

That would be the husband using my name to comment. I have never taught any sort of self defense.

Twil said...

There's a Krav Maga class that meets next door to my spinning class. Talk about a great distraction while you're exercising! It involves a lot of large plastic assault rifles & choke holds.