Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nope


My due date is one month from today and I realize that blogging lulls at this point will cause many wonderings of "has she?" So I'll try to do better. We unveiled the new kitchen here on Christmas morning and it was received with an encouraging amount of enthusiasm. We then headed to Port Neches had a good few days at my parents' house where the gift giving continued. The husband and I even went to a movie. What we'd planned to see wasn't playing anymore and we settled on "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which was so long and almost pointlessly meandering that I began to actually ache with wanting the credits to roll. AND some parent had brought their consumptive? croupy? tuberculosis-y? toddler with them (because apparently it's more important to go see a 3 hour movie on opening day than it is to actually stay home with your sick kid) and approximately every 4 minutes the poor child would launch into a wet hacking spasm of coughing which would turn the husband (who is an unapologetic germaphobe) into a writhing Howard Hughes. If I didn't know it was physiologically impossible, I'd say he held his breath through the entire 3 hours. I think he gave some serious thought to actually drinking the bottle of Purell in his pocket at one point. It was an interesting case study in group dynamics that after each of the child's episodes, several adults in the packed theater would then have spasmodic coughing episodes of their very own. Plus the theater there at the Central Mall still smells strongly of hurricane mold and other olfactory detritus. So, a fun date night for us!

I think the nesting is just about complete around here. I even washed crib sheets today and have the suitcase out and ready to pack. If Helena Jane is anything like her siblings she will show up precisely 5 days past her actual due date, but I don't want to assume.

5 comments:

Ken said...

Sorry I missed your call on christmas eve. We were headed to Dayspring's chirstmas eve service. I'll try to call you soon as I'd love to visit w/ you! Can't wait to hear about Helena Jane's entrance to your family. She will met with welcoming arms of everyone. Your children are just beautiful, Patti.
Love, Carrie

Jamie said...

Central Mall is a rough place, even when you are neither pregnant nor a germaphobe. But I'm glad you got some time together :)

Adorable pic of the kids!!! I love Harper's sweet little smile and dress!

Margie said...

You can count me as one of the wonderers. Glad to hear Christmas was good, but I wonder about any parent who takes a small child to the movies. I think that's what's wrong with the world these days - too much kid exposure to adult stuff, even if they don't yet get it. They'll get it too soon, anyway.

Patti said...

Thanks Carrie and Jamie.
Amen and amen Margie. It's not as though I don't understand not having a babysitter, or just really wanting to get out and go see a movie. But when a kid is old enough to process images and sounds, which is approximately at birth, why don't more parents think about what they are shoveling into their kids brains when they expose them to stuff like that? I went to a PG-13 movie by myself today and there was a little boy sitting next to me with his mom and he looked around 8. The previews alone made me want to usher him out with due haste. I literally closed my eyes during one of them (something about an exorcism) and he and his mom just sat there eating their popcorn. !!!!!

Margie said...

We don't even watch commercials with the girls (actually, we never do b/c everything we watch is pre-recorded anyway), b/c they're too fast, scary, oversexed. Movie trailers are the WORST. I remember reading an article about kids and TV, and the final quote was a lady who said she and her three-year-old watched CSI together and it didn't bother the three-year-old at all. (!) Something's wrong with that.