Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ten for Tuesday

I stole this from Robin. There are probably rules of which I'm not aware, but my version is just going to be a list of ten things that pass as an actual post.

1. It's beautiful weather here in Houston today--clear and coldish and autumnal.
2. I'm supposed to be going to the doctor every two weeks now and I find this very vexing.
3. Because each appointment takes around 2 hours, some of which is travel time and parking time, and some of which is spent waiting to be asked the same pleasant questions they asked at the last appointment. To which my answer is always no. I am, however, exceedingly thankful for uncomplicated pregnancies. I just think I should be allowed, in spite of my Advanced Maternal Age, to go to the doctor only when there is an actual need. When one is in active labor, for example.
4. I read a novel titled Home while at my parents' for Thanksgiving. If you ever think about writing your very own novel, Marilynne Robinson will either inspire you to be better at it, or, as is probably the case with me, her writing will convince you that if it's already being done this well, why sully it up with your own paltry effort.
5. On that note of self-pity, I have just received in the post a series of lectures from The Teaching Company titled, "Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft." A fellow named Brooks Landon, who teaches (with Marilynne Robinson, incidentally) at the the University of Iowa's famed writing workshop is going to lecture me on things like The Riddle of Prose Rhythm and Prefab Patterns for Suspense. I'm extremely excited to start.
6. This afternoon, the Daddy accompanied us to the park, to our delight, and on the way home Harper exclaimed, "Daddy, I found an idea!" which I thought was a pretty cute take on the more conventional having of ideas. Perhaps she's already watched Prefab Patterns for Suspense. The idea she found had to do with officially changing her name to Lightning Harper Anne.
7. The baby still has no name, though not from lack of input. Some people seem to feel we started the alliteration business and we should persevere lest #3 feel left out. Because clearly having names that start with H has bonded Harper to Hudson in a way she never would have experienced otherwise.
8. Your child can listen to Tchaikovsky for weeks and weeks and still tell you, that actually, her favorite song in the world is "I Was Made To Love You" by Toby Mac, Christian rapper. No offense to Mr. Mac, whose song she has heard maybe twice on the radio, and is indeed snazzy, but it's like that post I wrote last year about how you can take your kid to the Louvre and whatever, but they'd still rather look at the inflatable Frosty the Snowman snowglobe in the yard down the street.
9. I watched "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" last week. For a movie about a guy who has a stroke at 42 and is utterly paralyzed and able to communicate by flickering his one unaffected eyelid, it is oddly uplifting. I think it's just good to get a vivid reminder to be daily and deeply thankful for bodies that are whole and work as they should.
10. On Monday I shall again embark on Jamie's December Blog Challenge, Abridged.

5 comments:

Robin said...

As far as I know, there are no real rules for Ten on Tuesday. My brother didn't even write ten things the last time he did it.

Lately, I've been into piling books I've started on a table and only thinking about reading them. I want to start Brothers Karamazov soon, but I want to finish everything else first. It might be awhile.

Ken said...

Hey, hey, Pat-te (said w/ a rapper type, rhyming rhythm. Mr. Mac ain't got nuttin' on me!)-
I was in PN for TG, too. Too bad we didn't check into seeing each other. We were there from Thurs.-Sat. You?
Have you seen "Then She Found Me"? It's a great movie w/ Helen Hunt and Matthew Broderick (sp?). It's a thinking film, although it is billed as a comedy. I didn't find much humor in it, but I found it to be very theological even though it wasn't meant to be. I highly recommend it.....in your spare time, of course. Maybe during acitve labor? : )
LU is pursuing Ken. Can you believe it? I fought so hard to get out of there and now I may be going back. Long story, but his interview turned into a recruiting job. They verbally offered him a salary we can't walk away from w/o further investigating it. So, that's what we're in the process of doing. He's talking w/ them about the job and we're trying to discern God in all of it.
I say go for the alliteration. : )
Love you! CY

Patti said...

Carrie-
Jodey just read me the exciting news from Ken's Facebook page! Congratulations to the newest Lamar Cardinals!!
I have a million questions and will call you soon.

Ken said...

I know should be excited and grateful for a job, which I really, really am, especially given this economy. BUT, I am currently floating on the river, De-Nial, and have no plans to move OR become an LU Cardinal. I'm sure by May and after watching my hubby commute for the entire Spring semester, I'll be ready to move and be a family once again. But, for now, I'm in Waco and will stay in Waco.
Yes, we have a lot to discuss. Do call soon. Sometime after 9 is good, if you're still up.
LOVE the name!!!
CY

Margie said...

1.So, did you like Home Better, Less, or The Same as Gilead? I'll wait 'til I hear your answer to give you mine.
2. 2 weeks always felt like too much when so little was happening.
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is also on my list.
4. I saw my first inflatable snowglobe on Sunday night with the girls in tow and admit I thought it was as cool as they did. I hope my confession doesn't cause you to go into early labor.
5. I am very excited about your December challenge! I'm getting caught up so am moving on to read the others now.