Thursday, September 18, 2008

Safe. Sound.

We are home. We have electricity, plenty of food, cable, internet, and no damage to our apartment. It is almost an embarrassment of riches. We are pretty much back to normal in our little world, except for the fact that both kids have colds so we've been staying inside instead of enjoying the lovely cool weather. We got to see some (but alas, not all) of our good friends while in Dallas, which is always so very sweet.

Hudson is going through the verbal phase where he over-generalizes: all men are "Daddy", all animals (and even the legs on my mother-in-law's table) are "PUPPIES!" The Generalist, I've taken to calling him. As a pleasant coincidence, Harper is going through her Literalist phase. She finds the flagrant Daddying and puppying Absolutely Maddening. "NOHUDSON!! That is not our Daddy. Our Daddy is at work. That is Just A Guy,"or, "That is not a puppy, HUDSON!! That is a STEGOSAURUS!" She is determined to right all of these insidious wrongs. It's tiring work. Probably why she contracted the cold. She has, to be fair, also started pointing out buses to him when we are in the car because she knows he likes them. A glimmer of generosity.

I was supposed to have my 20-week ultrasound on Tuesday morning but had to reschedule because we were still in Dallas. Next Wednesday will bring tidings of gender. Yes, we will be sharing. No we have not decided on the name, though we have narrowed. We have middle names chosen. Jane and Jude. We don't think we're going with another 'H' this time, but reserve the right to change our minds. Hudson was almost Holden, but in the end I just couldn't saddle the boy with all of The Catcher in the Rye comparisons. The husband is still a big fan. I was really liking Jonas until the husband reminded me (because he's on the cutting edge of pop music) that people would probably think "Brothers" instead of "Salk". Emmeline is the only girl name we somewhat agree on, but he's not completely sold. That will have to be all for today. Hudson has awakened prematurely from his nap and is crying which means he will be even more congested and miserable. I shall intervene.

4 comments:

Robin said...

It's good to hear you guys are safe. I haven't heard from a lot of people in Houston, and I just assumed they still don't have power yet or are still out of town.

And yes, you really should get The Book Thief from the library or from somewhere. I think it was one of my top 3 books of the year (not that I remember what all I've read this year). It was so sad. I cried during the last 40 pages. I loved the character development though.

Ken said...

glad to hear you're back and safe. mom and dad are w/ us still and will be until power in PN is on. i'm glad they're here. i've had a stomach bug which landed me in the hospital dehydrated and needing fluids. couldn't have survived this week w/o them. thus the no caps in the posting. i'm too tired to shift.
cy

Jamie said...

Asher had just left the 'every animal is a puupy' stage. It lasted a while--probably because he has no big sister to help him out ;)

Can't wait to find out what #3 is!!! And you have great taste in middle names, I must say.

Let's get together soon when the sicknesses are over. It's been too long!

Margie said...

I like all the names you wrote about, and have a friend who named her daughter Emmaline (I think that's how she spelled it, but it could be Emmalyn). Anyway, can't wait to hear what you're having and hope you're feeling decent.