Wednesday, September 3, 2008

three is the new two

A year or so ago I got a couple of free issues of a magazine called Cookie. It's a mommy magazine for mommies who shop at Bergdorf Goodman and whose Big Conflicts center around things like whether or not to have a nanny or a "manny" for their young sons. I found it pretty entertaining. One article I specifically remember chronicled a trend among the young and affluent to have at least three kids because it was a symbol of financial bounty. It mainly detailed the phenomenon in large metropolitan areas where, apparently, kids are SOO expensive because of all the private schools and nannies and the needing of extra space in one's upper East side apartment. It's interesting to me that while several of my friends have two kids with no plans for more, the majority of my circle, both childhood friends and newer acquisitions, have at least three, or four, or five. We tend to shop at Target instead of Barney's. Most of us don't have nannies. Or mannies. And while we're all somewhere along the middle class spectrum, I don't think any of us sees the kids we have (or will have) beyond two as any sort of hallmark of financial success. Growing up, my parents had a fairly large group of friends, all of whom, with one exception, had two kids. The only big families I can remember at school were Mormon. Even the Catholic families had three at the most. I think my parents and their friends find our choices somewhat puzzling, even irresponsible maybe. It was instructive for me, a few months back, to read a fascinating discussion/debate about this issue (from a decidedly Christian perspective) over at Amy's Humble Musings. I honestly had never really formed strong opinions about how many kids I wanted to have. And we still haven't. I think getting married somewhat late (I was 33) made me apprehensive to make broad proclamations about something that is clearly outside of my control. I had seen so many friends struggle with infertility that pregnancy seemed veiled in this longing with no guarantee of it ever actually happening. I have, as it turns out, been pregnant and/or nursing for all but the first three months of marriage. And pregnancy IS always somewhat miraculous. And it has been amazing. And unexpected. And tiring. And my poor husband has at times been neglected because he (usually) doesn't cry when he is not fed on time and he is really good at dressing himself. But I know neither of us would do it differently. Clearly at some point in the near future, I will be at the end of biologic child bearing. But then there is the fact that every time I read or hear about friends (or strangers, for that matter) who have adopted, I weep with the beautiful metaphorical God-ness of it, and something in me wants to be a part of that deeply as well. So. There you have it. For those who have asked, or simply wondered, what our plans are. I wish Harper were old enough to read this. When we talk about the new baby she has repeatedly responded, always in a slow, deliberate way because we are clearly missing it, "But we already HAVE a baby."

I think I needed to write this today because I had a day fraught with regret and self-doubt yesterday. I let Hudson fall off of a tall bridge at the playground and he was terrified and had dirt and pine needles in his eyes and his nose and his mouth and his face is all scraped up. He is, thankfully and rather miraculously, intact. He'd gone across it probably five times without incident and even though I was right there, he managed to trip and fall just out of my reach. Now there's a metaphor for you. It is, I imagine, some semblance of what Sarah Palin and her husband are feeling these days. Only I get slightly less media coverage.Here he is at two weeks. Much easier to keep him safe then.

7 comments:

seymour said...

man on man defense = old regime; zone defense = new regime.

Mental Coping, By Seymour

A. One child, two parents: there is a parent to care for said child, there is a spare to make bottles and clean them.

B. Two children, two parents: there is a parent for each child.

C. Three children, two parents: one arm for each child with a spare.

D. Four children, two parents: one arm for each child.

E. Five children, two parents: first child is at least five and can hold the new baby, back to B.

Ken said...

Ken would tell you my main reason for wanting 4 is because I couldn't bear the thought of someone having to ride alone when we traveled to Six Flags...or Disney....or the Heritage Festival. : )

Margie said...

Wonderfully written, and I've been mulling over the same (when is it time to stop? when is adoption the next step?). E fell big the first time at a birthday party in front of lots of parents, right after I said, "I better get over here b/c it she could slip." Off the plastic Little Tykes slide and onto her head. 8 mos old. If I had been a nanny, I would have lost my job.

Missy said...

I think among Christians - at least our group of friends - it is more along the lines of, children are a blessing, as opposed to a status symbol. Don't you?

Patti said...

Yes, definitely Missy. That's what I meant to imply--though often what I think is sufficiently implicit in my writing should probably be more explicit. Plus I should use fewer words and more paragraph breaks. Children are clearly not a sign of our family's personal financial "success" considering our first two were born while my husband was in law school and we had no actual income to speak of. This is the kind of thing that makes my parents and their generation quake--WHAT!! no college fund?? No house?? Even my friends who ARE affluent don't keep having kids simply because they CAN fit four carseats in the Range Rover or because they feel sure they'll be able to pay tuition at Dartmouth in 2022. I think our generation of Christians has experienced a shift in how we view children--and not just the 2.1, but all the children we are, indeed, blessed to be given.

bethany said...

absolutely brilliant.

Margie said...

Hey Patti - I just gave you an award on my blog. I don't know if you're into these, but you're one of my favorite bloggers. I think you might know that already!