Monday, June 9, 2014

If wishes were puppies.

Our neighborhood pool is open at last. We went for a swim yesterday afternoon and Helena was having such a terrific time that when I told her it was time to get out, she did, but then she said this:

"I wish I didn't have a Mommy because then I could do whatever I wanted and I wouldn't have to obey."

Her tone was pleasant and polite so I didn't take it very personally. I actually love that she says exactly what is on her mind. I did wonder aloud who would tuck her in and give her kisses and prepare her food. She thought for a second, then:

"I think a big dog could take care of me and do all of those things."

So, she was listening after all when I read Peter Pan aloud a couple of years ago. Helena needs a Nana who will let her stay in the pool as long as she wishes. Though I don't think Nana would do a very good job buttoning dresses or putting hair in buns.

In other hair news, a few weeks ago, we were moving some furniture around and Harper discovered some golden curls behind the play kitchen. Were they from a doll? They were not. Helena confessed that she has been giving herself trims. With all of the curls, it was tricky to see, but she definitely did some damage in the general bangs region. She couldn't explain why exactly, but I think it might be her response to all of the comments she gets about her pretty curls. She doesn't necessarily love strangers telling her that her hair is SO PRETTY every time we go out. This is the look she generally uses as her response:

In other hair news, this conversation:

Helena: Mommy. Can you please make a bun in this ballerina Barbie's hair?
Me: Would you like a high bun or a low bun?
Helena: Hudson! Do you want a high bun or a low bun?

Brother of the year, for sure. He has a GI Joe action figure that condescends to interact with the ballerina Barbies on occasion. And apparently, GI Joe likes a lady with an updo.

I realize I never did Helena's birthday interview, and I hope to at some point. The only thing she wanted for her birthday was Barbies. (Maybe you will remember my aversion). I really tried to redirect her wishes, but she was determined. So, she got four ballerina Barbies (including a ridiculous looking Ken ballerino) and a bride (all from grandparents). She pulls them out about twice a month, and they all switch clothes, do a few pirouettes, and maybe some Krav Maga with GI Joe.After a few days of enthusiasm, they get pushed under her bed, forgotten.

In other Helena news, she lost her first tooth today! This is much earlier than the other two lost any of theirs. They were both close to 7. The tooth fairy has realized that a dollar a tooth is probably more than she wants to pay for all of these teeth falling out. She didn't really think it through. SIXTY baby teeth.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

"Were they from a doll? They were not." .... Funniest two sentences ever!!!!!

Zoe said...

Oh that hair! No wonder there are remarks from annoying strangers. It IS lovely.
The tooth fairy has been busy at our house too. And in the novelty of the first few lost teeth, she made the mistake of leaving gifts instead of just plain old cash money... until she wised up and declared a brand new law that actually only the first FOUR teeth to come out of each girl's head are worthy of gifts... after that it's just a plain old dollar. Much better plan. :)

Margie said...

Wait. What? HOW many baby teeth do they have???

Margie said...

Wait. What? HOW many baby teeth do they have???

Patti said...

They have 20!! Each!!