Thursday, June 26, 2014

Prized.

When Harper was 6 she saw a commercial on PBS (they actually don't call them" commercials", they have another, less capitalistic, less corporate, less greedy word for them) for a story contest. She decided she was going to enter the contest and WIN. She wrote and illustrated a cute story about a stingray and some other sea animals. She did not win, but she got a nice certificate. Undaunted, she entered again last year. This story was about her stuffed puppy Sasha entering a horseback riding competition. Sasha won the horseback riding competition, but the story did not win the story contest. Again, Harper got a nice certificate for her participation. She was a little disappointed, but not as much as I expected she might be.

I thought maybe she wouldn't want to enter the contest this year, but mentioned it casually when I got an email about it. She decided she would write a story about a bald eagle. She worked really hard on the watercolor illustrations. She researched details, and we had some great practice distinguishing between "summarizing" and "plagiarizing." She titled it A Bald Eagle's Journey. And the third year was the charm! She was named a finalist, and we all got to go to an awards ceremony at the Children's Museum. She got a medal and a backpack full of public broadcasting "swag" which included a ruler, several pencils, a Highlights magazine, some Daniel Tiger Stickers, and some sort of Leap Pad game that requires a Leap Pad (which we don't have). It was all pretty thrilling. We are proud of her.

I hope she always loves creating. I hope she always finds joy in a good story. I hope she is always as tenacious as she is now. 



4 comments:

Jo said...

Yay, Harper!!! Though I confess I really want to hear Hudson's old story with the stingray, the turtle, Mater, and the Bear.

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Harper!!

Jen said...

Harper rocks! And she comes by her virtues honestly. :o)

Margie said...

Congratulations to her! What a wonderful accomplishment. I hope she always loves creating, too ~ such a joy in life.