Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Messily bobbed.

Three posts in three days!

Here is a picture of my hair in its natural state:

Here is the new arrangement:
 

Some thoughts:

1. I have no idea how people get such cute pictures of themselves in their bathrooms. The light is weird and I could NOT figure out how to hold the camera. I am sure it is an art that takes many hours to perfect.

2. About 10 minutes before I left for my appointment, I decided to look on the computer and find a new haircut. I am not on Pinterest, but I went to the main page, typed in 'haircuts,' and found something on the first page called a Messy Bob. The girl in the photo seemed to have hair with a similar texture to mine, so when I got to the salon, I said to the stylist who, along with everyone else in the salon, spoke Vietnamese, "I will take a messy bob, please! And feel free to chop and chop."

I went to a salon my friend Araceli told me about where a haircut is $12. I wasn't especially nervous about this because I've had bad cheap haircuts before and they do, indeed, grow out. I do actually like this one, but I am not sure I will be able to break out of my twice a year haircut routine in order to keep it maintained. My favorite thing about it is that my hair is no longer on my neck making me feel like my neck is wrapped in a scratchy wool blanket in the 100 degree heat.

Today is my dad's 77th birthday! We love him. The kids are on the phone with him right now giggling like crazy. They think he is a comedian extraordinaire. Also, an excellent Giver of Hugs and an Exemplary Reader of Stories.
 




8 comments:

Jamie said...

I love it! Seriously cute! A messy bob--who knew? And for $12???? I admire your courage. It clearly paid off.

Stephanie said...

I LOVE it!!!! It really suits you.

Happy birthday to Mr. Pate!

Kristin said...

Love your hair! I got mine cut short too, yesterday. Similar to yours. I hadn't had mine cut in a year! It looks so much better. Maybe we should buck up and maintain our hair-dos.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love - you are so cute! We miss your family, hope you will come and visit us soon.
-Thirza (obviously not anonymous but that's the only way I can leave a comment)

Margie said...

So great, Patti! But how do you keep the curls from coming back? Still questioning what I should do about my own long mess...And happy 77th birthday to your dad.

Patti said...

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, Kristin, I am hoping that the $12 will encourage me to tend to the cut. Thirza, we miss you too!I I hear you are doing a terrific job as Madame Director :) And Margie, I've realized that my hair doesn't curl much until it hits a certain length. There is some weird wavy business going on on the back of my head, even when it is this short, which I can sort of fix with the blow dryer and a few minutes with the flat iron. I think I might not have to do that, though, if I embrace the "messy" of the messy bob. She used a razor and those thinning scissors so that the hair that is left can't unite and become a mushroom cloud, even if I don't do anything to it.

maggiecb said...

I think you look 29! Messy bob suits you! Since only 147 hairs grow on my head I can not have any messy bob. This is a style ideal for the thick-haired among us. :) And yay for the blogging.

Zoe said...

Love the haircut! Now I want a messy bob! But mine would end up looking flat and sad unless I used gobs of some kind of volumizing 'product' and sadly, I'm much too lazy most days! :)