Monday, December 10, 2012

They shall have music wherever they go

Helena would like to extend her congratulations to Johny Football by showing him that she is cuter than he is in this uniform. Also that she is #1 and he is #2.

I just this minute finished making photo calendars on Shutterfly because I got an email today informing me that today was the absolute last day to get 40% off. It took me THREE hours and FIFTEEN minutes, and at 10:59 pm I had this sinking feeling that the special deal was Eastern time and that I would have done all of this work for no reason. Thankfully, the good folks at Shutterfly seem to be on Central time. I am unsure as to whether or not these calendars are going to be worth the time I spent on them. I am reminded of the utter chaos that is my method of storing the pictures I have taken for the past 7 years. I have eight memory cards of various gigabytes on the table next to me right now. I used only 2 for the calendar. I presume the rest of them have the entirety of the other 5 years of my children's lives documented on their tiny plastic-ness. That seems a touch risky, does it not? Maybe I should do something about that. But good grief, that would entail doing what I just did for the last THREE hours and FIFTEEN minutes, only for much, much, much longer.

Has anyone done any studies to document how it is affecting our kids just how documented their lives are these days? My generation generally had a few poorly focused, poorly lit photos (some of mine were from a Polaroid Instamatic camera) glued into some sort of tweed album to show that we had indeed been infants and toddlers and snaggle-toothed first graders. Some families took a few grainy home movies (not mine). I liked looking at that album. My kids really like looking at pictures of themselves on the computer, and I feel certain they would really enjoy photo books of themselves if I could summon up the will to get them made.


A couple of days ago there was a considerable ruckus coming from the backyard. I peeked out and Hudson had devised a drum set out of plastic buckets and was playing a jazzy beat, while Helena was pounding on the metal hammock stand (where is the hammock? I haven't seen it since we moved) with a metal ladle and singing in a loud, loud voice that wasn't entirely melodic. That will have to be it for today.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Helena Football looks fierce. Cute outfit!

I just made a calendar on Minted.com. Very cute, modern designs and you can have just ONE pic per age. That was immensely freeing to me. I actually made a calendar in one sitting and it will be ready for Christmas giving. This is unheard of here. AND I went to retailmenot for a promo code for minted.com and found a $50 off first purchase so they only charged me for shipping.

I like Hudson's drums. And that they are outside.

Jo said...

Dr. Leonard Sax does reference studies on this "mini-celebrity" lifestyle that this generation suffers in his "Girls on the Edge." It includes social networking, so it's not so specialized, but it does give one pause.

"The Body Project" also looks at the affects of visual advertisements, mirrors, pictures on the change in girlhood in recent generations. It's a rather fascinating book that Mrs. S. recommended about private adolescence of the American girl.

Margie said...

Have absolutely wondered the same thing about the documenting. Takes me hours just to put my one "Family Picture" (8x10 collage) I put together every year for Mom. Do we need it? Have so thought of posting about this question. But I THINK more than I DO. Even so, I'm sure your calendar's lovely, and will be loved. And Helena is wayyyy cuter.