Thursday, December 20, 2012

Invisible frenemy

Helena: I had Penupuh in my dream. She had long brown hair. Like you! Then I hit her. In the face.
 Me: Why??
 Helena: Because she was drawing on my picture. Of a boweena. THEN she frew a fit. But her daddy was on the potty.
 Me: At a party?
 Helena: No, ON the POTTY. Maybe poo poo.

 I think I need to be glad that the invisible friend is getting hit in the face, and not the siblings, n'est pas?

 Yesterday, she wondered what we were getting Jesus for Christmas. I asked what she thought he might want. "A Batman costume," she said firmly, "AND a cool Batman fast car."I thought about gently suggesting that what Jesus might actually want is a little girl who doesn't hit her invisible friend in the face just because she drew on her ballerina picture.

 It is a good thing she is generally so cute, because she is also doing some routinely annoying things. For example, she takes my bookmarks out of my books. This drives me crazier than it probably should. It's just that if I happen to find a few minutes to read, I end up having to sift through the pages to find where I left off, by which time I no longer have a few minutes to read. I just started reading Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. In fact, I am about to read another chapter while I let the kids watch an episode of Shaun the Sheep on Netflix. If you know anything about the book, you will realize that this is ANATHEMA and will probably cause the universe to fold in on itself. Which is actually okay, because isn't the world ending tomorrow anyway?

If it doesn't, I'm planning to post again. Probably some pictures of the multi-generational yearly pilgrimage to "The Nutcracker."

I don't have any words for the terrible deep sadness in Connecticut this week. So I won't even try.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I happened upon a book at the Christian bookstore titled The Sparkle Box. The family in it has a empty sparkly box which is Jesus's birthday gift. Throughout the Christmas season they write down on a slip of paper each act of service they do and put out in the box. Then Christmas morning they read them aloud as Jesus's birthday gift. I found it very helpful for the kids to make our service activities more concrete and connected instead of random.

Christine said...

I happened upon a book at the Christian bookstore titled The Sparkle Box. The family in it has a empty sparkly box which is Jesus's birthday gift. Throughout the Christmas season they write down on a slip of paper each act of service they do and put out in the box. Then Christmas morning they read them aloud as Jesus's birthday gift. I found it very helpful for the kids to make our service activities more concrete and connected instead of random.