Thursday, December 13, 2012

In my pink Cadillac

I just got an email from Toys r Us, and one of the items in the Recommended for You! section was a Power Wheels Fisher Price Barbie Cadillac Hybrid Escalade EXT in Pink for the bargain online price of $359.99.

Toys r Us, you know me Not At All.

There was this kid who would come to a park near our old apartment with her nanny. She had one of those kids-sized battery operated cars (I don't remember if it was an Escalade) and she would come driving up, even though I am pretty sure she lived just a couple of streets away. Sometimes she wouldn't even get out of it, she would just take it for a leisurely drive through the park. My kids would stare at her and probably wonder why they were forced to walk to the park and then play on their actual legs. After a few minutes the little girl (she was actually not at all little, she was alarmingly large for her age--surprising) would whine that she was hot and ready to go. So she would turn for home and the nanny would shuffle along behind her. Is that what her parents picture when, later that evening, the nanny assures them that they got outside and played at the park? It was very much like that scene in "WALL-E" where all the humans have turned into these enormous blobs who ride in electric chairs on moving belts everywhere because they have devolved from lack of work and purpose.

 Helena has been wondering out loud (is there any other kind of wondering at this age?) what life was like for her before she was born. She will ask, "Was I playing with Jesus? Was I in the dark?" and this morning Harper, who is a touch snippy in the mornings (learned behavior from moi) said, "NO! You were an itty bitty thing that didn't even eat!!" Then, because it is entirely appropriate over the breakfast table, we discussed the umbilical cord.

 I've been trying to work with Harper on the volume of her voice. I will dispense little bon mots such as, "if you have something important to say, people will listen even if you whisper," and she will look at me and say something extremely non-important in a very loud voice. We are also working on keeping our mouths closed while chewing. The baby carrots almost did me in at dinner tonight.

I started a new book today. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo (is that her actual name?) It is really terrific so far. We went to the park after we finished our school work this morning, and after I untangled Helena from a rose bush (painful for me but, thankfully, not for her. She cried in frustration, just for good measure) I decided to walk laps around the park while reading. It went pretty well.

This is the only decorating we have done thus far. I have four yards of felt next to my desk that I have every intention of turning into a one of a kind, extraordinarily beautiful tree skirt. If I could only pry myself out of my metaphorical Escalade.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Yeah, I would think the pink Barbie jeep would be more your style.

So you walked AND read? I'm impressed.

Margie said...

You know, I'm a little peeved you have so many new posts, and my reader has failed to inform me. From now on, I'm just going to pop over and see. ANYWAY, have been interested in the same book, and will read it if you recommend it. ALSO, your books are on their way. Absolutely no rush or pressure or imperative to read them.

Maria Smith said...

Perhaps the little chubby girl in the pink car thing had already played too much in her garden at home (cause they probably have a huge garden or a forest) and nanny was already exhasuted from having done homechooling, cooking, washing, housecleaning and was already preparing dinner in her mind....!! just saying:) Love your notes....! Mx

Anonymous said...

Have you read The Kitchen House? It has become a new favorite of mine.

Carrigan had a Barbie jeep (from grandparents) that had an actual working radio. While driving in around our yard one time, she heard the practice test system go off on the radio which she thought meant tornado alert. She promptly ditched the jeep and ran inside never to drive the jeep again. It has sat in our garage for 3+ years.

Miss you!!
Carrie