Anyway, Penupuh is shaping up to be a fairly interesting imaginary friend.
I watched a cute movie a few nights ago. It's called "The Big Year" and it's based on a book about a few guys who participate in a birding quest (refered to by amateur ornithologists as a Big Year) in which the goal is to see hundreds of different bird species in the United States in a single calendar year. The quest involves extensive travel (I was very interested to discover that an area near Anahuac, Texas, which is close to where I grew up, is something of a birding Mecca) and a level of commitment that makes a normal life almost impossible. I'm pretty sure I want to try it at some point. Maybe we can take a year off as a family and do it together! The movie, incidentally, wasn't as hilarious as it should have been considering it starred Steve Martin, Jack Black, AND Owen Wilson (add Bill Murray to that trifecta and it might be Comedy Perfection in my world) but it was sweet. At one point, the Owen Wilson character (who is a legend at the Big Year--755!!) says, with a self-effacing shrug, "I just love to bird."
Here are some birds I have painted for cards lately. Harper calls them my Fat Birds and they are, perhaps, a bit too plump. As I get more skilled, perhaps I'll try for more authenticity. I ordered Harper a miniature Audubon folio for Christmas, which I will probably enjoy as much as she does.
I actually had great aspirations of painting all of our Christmas cards this year, and then I came to my senses and realized it would take me approximately 150 hours, so instead my dad took a picture of us in their backyard on Thanksgiving (Hudson looks a touch peaked because of the vomit) and I used a 75 % coupon for cards printed on a machine. As usual, I have fallen short of my ideal, and am reconciled to Just Fine.
Now we are going to walk to the park because children are starting to tackle one another, and that rarely ends well.

4 comments:
I love hearing about Penupuh! Makes me fondly recall Jackson's imaginary friend Roger and his dog Bingo. They were quite the world travelers too! Lovely birds. And you're one up on me since our Christmas cards still only exist in my head...
I love hearing about Penupuh! Makes me fondly recall Jackson's imaginary friend Roger and his dog Bingo. They were quite the world travelers too! Lovely birds. And you're one up on me since our Christmas cards still only exist in my head...
Your cards! Wow - lovely. The birds are plump b/c it's winter - isn't that when they plump to warm themselves? We are supposed to have snow on Monday. Maybe. I think the weathermen are just saying it b/c they need some drama. B/c swimming and short-wearing weather in December is not drama, and our birds are definitely not plump. I really love the cards.
Your fat birds make me very happy. They seem so content and cozy, but effortlessly, like hobbits. Without hairy feet. (Sorry, I've been having hobbit thoughts lately.) I just love them.
Post a Comment