Does this disgust anyone else? Does anyone think that the actual Baby of Christmas might want to walk into this clinic and start knocking over tables? You know, I have been trying very hard to reign in my cynicism, but things like this make it hard.
Which reminds me of a quote I saw on some blog a few weeks back that made me uncomfortable. I think it was something like, "A woman at 40 will either have become radiant, or she will have become bitter." I am aware that I tend to be generally disappointed and cynical and, yes, bitter. I really want to be radiant instead. It is much harder.
In other, more peppy news, tonight Helena and I were reading Mirette on the High Wire, and on the first page, there is mention of "Acrobats, jugglers, actors, and mimes from as far away as Moscow," so I mentioned that Moscow was the capital of Russia. Helena nodded and said, "Penupuh has a dog. Named Person. And a sister named Enema. No, Emma. NO, Gemma!" I can't tell you how relieved I am for Gemma that she is not Enema.
Two other funny things Helena is doing lately, that seem to point to her becoming a professional hillbilly some day:
1. She says, "these ones"--eg. as she is helping me unload the dishwasher, she will grab the very sharp knives and say, "I can dry these ones!" and I will be very conflicted as to which crisis I should deal with first: the grievous grammar infraction, or the possibility of bodily harm.
2. She is lately fond of the redundant 'at' at the end of her queries: "Mommy! Where is the brush at?" and I will say, "Oh! Helena, you just need to say, 'Where is the brush?" and she will say, "Yes. But where is the brush AT? I need it." It is APPALLING
I had my friend Merry's cookie exchange this Monday night, and, as usual, I have been eating so many cookies since then that I am now altogether sluggish and unable to do simple math equations. I think I still have around 10 left and they are starting to get a bit dry. My impaired faculties keep me from making sound decisions about whether or not to finish them off.
We went to Oil Ranch last Friday, so let us document that with a couple of pictures, shall we?

7 comments:
Patti,
I remembered reading years ago that children will often use logical grammar instead of proper grammar, but will correct it in time with proper modeling. I've been trying to not lecture too much re: certain phrases. Recently, Abby switched to "thirsty" instead of "drinky!" I don't know if these things will always right themselves and we both know she has a LOUSY example, but it was funny when I heard it for the first time yesterday. I also think I heard Aiken say drinky.
I do plan on introducing formal grammar at some point. This book I had read was really more about children learning to speak and not discouraging language acquisition with criticizing. But it was interesting to see the development take place.
So glad someone else is struggling to get through all the Christmas cookies. It does indeed make one feel bloated (but oh so happy).
To tag onto Jo's comments, which are much more profound than the following - my mom is a speech therapist and had to work really hard to get my brother and me to take off the "at" and the ends of sentences. Almost more difficult? Getting us to say "get" instead of "git." Eventually, we learned. :)
LG
Mi esposo wanted me to send this to you. You must check it out (hah!), Mrs. Don't-end-with-a-preposition.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/churchill.html
Oh, I know all about Churchill and his "up with which I will not put" nonsense. I don't actually mind prepositions at the end if they aren't redundant. You wouldn't say, "At where is the brush?" though.That sentence simply does not require a preposition.
But GOOD GRIEF I will stop bothering Helena about it.
I’m just needling you. I think sweetly reiterating, “Where’s the brush?” is perfect. Whenever I watch my BBC, I always wonder what those genteel families do to make their children speak so beautifully. Is it the screen writing? The private tutors? Perfect modeling? All of the above? Since I provide none, I figure my children are doomed. But I am encouraged by cases like yours. I imagine Mrs. P modeled good speech for you b/c she seems like she would, but I suppose it was self-study and interest that created the fabulous Patti ____. As this Miss Bates is doing well to process ideas - much less the proper speech - before speaking, my children will have little foundation. I do seek to improve. If I did think through my speech in addition to my ideas, my prattle would not be missed.
I lived with an English major for several years in college. I still can see Dr. S (now OB/Gyn) wincing when I say something wrong. She was severe in her corrections and I still get stage fright when speaking in front of the literary set. It makes me trip up ever so much more b/c I feel like I’m being scrutinized. You, I must say, do not visibly wince, but I feel self-conscious anyway b/c I know that you know when I bumble. But the fault is all mine and my lack of application.
Ack! On this post regarding grammar, my paragraphs did not copy and paste correctly. Please excuse!
Oh Mrs. B. I do not wince because I can't remember a single instance that would have been wince-worthy.
Post a Comment