Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It was all very moving

I'm going to summarize the move to the new place with some statistics. Because statistics are tidy and quick and there are, unfortunately, still boxes I need to tend to.

 **Number of days in the new house (which has stairs, about which the kids had been almost overcome with GLEE and JOYFUL ANTICIPATION) before Harper proclaimed, "We need an ELEVATOR!": ONE.

 **Number of emotional breakdowns (completely without merit) the kids had while I was trying to unpack boxes: SIX.

 **Number of days the kids spent in Port Neches with my parents (the first time they've ever been away without me) so that I could pack UP boxes without any emotional breakdowns (other than my own): FOUR.

 **Number of trips up and down the stairs while moving in and unpacking: INFINITY.

**Number of times I used my handy pocket box cutter while moving in and unpacking: INFINITY. (I love this thing so much that I am even using it now when there is no box tape to cut.)

 **Number of times I really needed to wash my hands on the day we moved in, but couldn't because I had forgotten to bring soap of any kind. Or paper towels. Or even Purell: INFINITY.

 **Number of really disgusting things that hasn't happened to any of the kids even EVER that happened while I didn't have any soap or paper towels or even wipes: ONE.

**Percentage of our garage (we have one! A garage! We didn't at the old place) taken up with boxes filled with things that may or may not have never been unpacked when we last moved almost 3 years ago: One-third. (this is actually closer to one-fourth after the husband spent some time out there today)

**Number of severe thunder storms, including hail, we experienced the night we moved in, during which it would have been super awesome to park our cars in the garage (which YES, we fully intend to do): ONE.

**Number of trips I took to Ikea while deciding on and ordering our furniture: SEVEN possibly EIGHT.

 **Number of pairs of shoes I bought at Ikea while deciding on and ordering our furniture: TWO.

**Total price of two pairs of Ikea shoes: $5.

**Number of pairs of shoes I bought at Ikea that, the husband duly noted, make me look as though I am shuffling down the courthouse hallway, while shackled, on the way to my arraignment: ONE.

 **Number of pairs of Ikea shoes that the husband duly noted could not POSSIBLY be any uglier:  ONE.
**Number of $1 ice cream cones I bought at Ikea while deciding on and ordering our furniture: TWO possibly THREE.

That is going to have to be it for now because I just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to load pictures on the ipad, after which I finally gave up. After which I had to find the power cord for the laptop and wait for it to clickety clack its way into the internet. I'll close with before and after shots:

Dear house on Kinglet,

You vastly improved our life almost 3 years ago when you provided us with a wonderful, shaded back yard, and rooms for all of us to sleep without anyone needing to be in a closet.  We will miss you and your wonderful foliage.

Dear new house,

We like you and you are pretty and you smell terrific and we believe that those trees have real potential.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I've been waiting for your post-move post. I'm excited for you and where the Lord has put you...new neighbors(new mission field), new garage, new couch, and new shoes! Sometimes a girl just needs a comfortable, cheap pair of shoes. We've been saving for a couch and chair and I am attracted to the overstuffed, slipcovered, cottage syle as well. There's no way I could afford OR justify buying the "dream couch" from Nantuckit Furniture, so I am resigned to the IKEA version as well. You'll have to let me know if you like it and recommend it. Happy unpacking and may no one fall down the new stairs in their excitement. :)

Stephanie said...

Your new home is lovely!

bethany said...

I love that every time I come here I can expect a good laugh aloud. The house looks beautiful -- and our kids dream of stairs. And a pool.

Margie said...

I have to say that when I look at the photo of your new home with garage, I'm envious! So perhaps that, too, is where we'll end up. I was all prepared to say we had decided not to move, but since our decision we continue to find ourselves chafing at the lack of space, poor insulation, and always-in-need-of-repair house. Loved the story - it's the idea of MOVE that has me quaking, an activity I could put off forever. But forever is so very long in a 70 year old house...