Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Let's furnish this.

Well. At 41 years of age, I seem to be a homeowner for the very first time. Actually, the bank will be buying a home for us, as the case may be, and is graciously allowing the husband to give them a portion of his hard-earned income once a month (for an extremely low interest rate, which is why we are really doing this) to let us live in their house. This is a very big deal, considering that I've never even bought my own car.

We are moving in about three weeks and we've also decided to leave behind our living room furniture, which consists of a couch I bought 11 years ago for $400, and an extremely large red floral chair that came with an ottoman that we had to put out on heavy trash day a few months back because the foam was peeking out.
I was feeling a little stressed out about getting rid of perfectly good (though stained, slightly torn, sagging) furniture, then, a few nights ago, the husband and I were sitting on the couch, and my side of it suddenly groaned and gave way with a thump, listing starboard (or was it portside? coxswain? yar?) just like Titanic in the moments after the berg. (Which reminds me that I need to write about this Titanic book I read a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it, as much as an emotional basket case like me can enjoy a book that delves into what it must have been like to actually behold that horrible event). Anyway, the husband was able to prop the couch back up so it didn't look as though it was about to slowly sink beneath our living room floor, but its days are clearly numbered.

Which means I need to find new furniture. Which, per usual, is one of those things most normal people think is really fun, and I manage to turn into an exercise in philosophical ANGST. I decided that first, I need to figure out what I like. I looked at some blogs (the Nester, Young House Love, Pleated Poppy, LLH Designs) which, even though I had just read a blog post reminding me not to let other people and their magnificent talents and gifts as posted on blogs and Pinterest be debilitating, was a trifle intimidating and almost overwhelming. But it was ultimately helpful. It turns out that in general I like just about everything in Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Which I believe can be vaguely categorized as Cottage-Style. (the husband actually likes a more modern aesthetic, but is willing to concede that clear plastic chairs that look like the Jetsons' might not be as comfortable as my choice). I like slipcovered couches and chairs, or, as I like to think of it, furniture that is wearing really comfortable clothes that can be washed if someone happens to mark on them with a crayon or throw up on them. It turns out that comfortable, well-made, slipcovered couches and chairs at Pottery Barn etc. cost more than I can BEAR. Then, the heavens opened, and IKEA revealed itself in all its affordable glory. So we went to IKEA on Saturday morning. And I found a couch and also several chairs that are affordable, cute, and also washable. But, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't making some sort of Epic Furniture Mistake, on Saturday afternoon during my Saturday Alone Time, I went to Highland Village to peruse Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Quatrine (for people who think PB and C&B is a little too "mass-produced" for their tastes. The chairs were really lovely, BUT, and this was pleasant to realize, not very comfortable. There was an adorable little kid's slipcovered chair in a charming owl print that was ON SALE for $1100 DOLLARS. ), and Restoration Hardware. There was one chair in Crate and Barrel that made me a little wistful (so soft, it comes in colors like Poppy and Butterscotch and Sage and it Rocks and Also Swivels. It felt womb-like. Not that I remember being in the womb) so maybe we can save up for it, and make do with something similar from IKEA in the meantime.

While I was sitting in the womb chair, I had an existential crisis in which there was a very loud voice in my head that said this: "WHY ARE YOU SPENDING SO MUCH TIME AND ENERGY AND MONEY PLANNING ALL OF THIS SITTING DOWN TIME?? GET UP OUT OF THIS CHAIR AND DO SOMETHING TO CHANGE THE WORLD ALREADY. BUY SOME REALLY HARD CHAIRS POST HASTE!!"

That voice is mean and also does not understand me. That voice is the opposite of shabby chic.

So, I'll keep you filled in. Any advice would be appreciated.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your idea for slipcovers is a good one. I always like the option of being able to wash the fabric if there is a mishap. I got talked into a down sofa this last replacement and I'm so tired of walking around with a feather on my butt most days. The feathers poke through and float around and cling to clothes. A good heavy linen or cotton holds up surprisingly well to wear and tear. Test out the sofa arms to make sure they work for the all important "legs curled underneath and elbow/forearm rested on the sofa arm" position. I've had both too high and too low sofa arms and it made for awkward lounging. (sad that is such high priority for me....non-awkward lounge positions). Good luck!

Maria Smith said...

Wish I could help. My husband is huge IKEA man....basically must know every item....:))) we had always got IKEA stuff and its not only cheap, practical and convenient but its durable too. We invested in a really good steamcleaner as we went for lime green sofas and its amazingly easy to clean the fabric. We used to have leather sofa's and could not wait to get rid of them purley because they were dark and very cold and unsnuggly...
Back to steamcleaner this I swear (although don;t often do that) is my best friend but not sure you guys have it over there ....worth every penny (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/22594/Lakeland-Handy-Steamer)
Anyway, loved this post....you make me smile outloud!!:)) Sending you hugs!mx

Patti said...

Staci--I'm pretty sure most of the Quatrine furniture was down-filled, which is why I was surprised it wasn't softer. I think I'm also pretty allergic to down, which would be a problem for all of the naps I intend to take on this furniture. I HAVE been practicing that exact pose, as it is my preferred reading position. I even took off my shoes in Pottery Barn so as to properly curl my feet beneath me, which I'm sure is a little bit weird.

Maria--the husband thought we wanted leather, but I was afraid they would seem cold and dark. We have a hand-held steam cleaner! It's been up on a shelf since Harper was a baby, but I'm sure it still works. Good to know it will work well on sofa cleanings!

Zoe said...

I love IKEA. Some of their stuff is a little more hip and modern than really suits our messy family - but I adore those traditional-looking couches with the slipcovers. I don't actually own one, but always gaze longingly at them when we make an IKEA trip. The nearest IKEA is about 5 hours from us, which is sad, but also probably a good thing for the old bank account. :)

Jo said...

Stay away from the Butterscotch. My bland (not saying Butterscotch is bland) beige sofa shows all the foot prints. I know you can wash it, but I suspect some stains will be stubborn. If I could've chosen, I probably would have gone with a darker color w/ all those dirty feet. I suppose I could clean the floors more, but that won't help w/ dirt and mud tracked in.

Also, don't be too self deprecating. Yes, it's just decor and nothing to lose yourself over, but it is the setting of many memories and sets a tone for your home. I have always loved growing up in a beautiful home. I like capturing memories and the loveliness that surrounded them. I'd rather things hadn't been so fragile and expense isn't necessary. Beauty, warmth, and harmony can be achieved on a small budget and are well worth it for someone at home as much as we.

Stephanie said...

While perusing blogs tonight, I came across this http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2012/04/dear-miss-cote-de-texas.html

High end Houston interior designer suggesting Ikea sofas with a photo if you scroll down.

Patti said...

Thank you, Staci! I've actually toyed with the idea of getting the white because I do think they look so fresh and clean AND I read on another blog that you can bleach them!! (Though Joanna is absolutely right about dirty feet, so I'll probably lose my nerve and go with a darker color.)

This blog also reminded me that I haven't been to World Market in forever and there is one about 5 minutes from me. I need to go see what they have. I like the chaise with the tiny green pineapple print, though I wonder if I'd ever actually recline on a chaise because I think I'd feel like I was Marie Antoinette. (I also had to giggle over the first few comments that I read which turned into a debate about veganism and using animal skins as decor!! People get very UPSET about their issues.)

Twil said...

There is a place in the Heights that sells Pottery Barn knock offs supposedly cheaply. I need to get someone to remind me of the name. Might be worth trying out.

Margie said...

I have no advice, except to say that we bought light colored living room furniture before we had kids. Bad idea! But good that it is fairly easy to clean. We also made the mistake of laying light colored carpet! It's now quite dingy, and no amount of steam cleaning will make it pristine. Slip covers: Very Good. I was sad about giving away (I think, I can't really remember) a matching couch and chair set I bought in Houston for a song in my early twenties. It had been very in, it resembled mattress ticking, but by the time I was married had run its course and was, by then, fairly worn. Happy Fresh Start.