We got a new camera. It's nice and it scares me. But I'm going to read the instruction manual and try to keep my sweaty fingers from smearing the lens (again) and then WATCH OUT.
So, back to music. I seem to have trouble remembering the ipod when we are going someplace and, because of the work that is involved in fishing out a cd for a 15 minute ride, we end up listening to the radio. I think I've mentioned more than once my rather disenchanted attitude with "Christian radio." However, Helena has gotten to the point where she actually listens to songs and wants to know what they are called, and her latest query is, "This about Jesus?" and so, when we're listening to the Christian station I can usually say, "Yes, it IS about Jesus!" although sometimes I want to add something cynical like, "Ostensibly, anyway. It actually seems to be more about how this girl lost her keys but it's okay because she just loves the way Jesus holds her." Anyway, the other day I decided to try the classic rock station and the first song was Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend" and Helena says, "This about Jesus?" and I said, "Um, no, I think it's about how people work hard all week so that they can enjoy not having to work on the weekends (even though that's really counter to the idea of finding meaning in our vocation and actually seeing our work, not as drudgery, but as purposeful and God-honoring). Next up came the Eddie Money classic "Two Tickets to Paradise" which, of course, I explained was about a story by Dante that we could all read together in a few years. Then, and here is where I finally relented and switched back to radio that's "Safe for the Whole Family!" I give you, Billy Joel, with his bouncy melodies and the blasphemy that is "Only the Good Die Young":
You got a nice white dress and a party on your confirmation
You got a brand new soul
mmmm, And a cross of gold
But Virginia they didn't give you quite enough information
You didn't count on me
When you were counting on your rosary
(oh woah woah)
They say there's a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it's better but I say it ain't
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
the sinners are much more fun...
you know that only the good die young
thats what i said
i tell ya
only the good die young, X2
Oh, woah, woah, indeed.
Dear KSBJ: Forgive me my fault-finding, and thank you for the fact that never once have you exposed my children to lyrics that tell Catholic school girls that their chastity will lead to an early death. Sincerely, Patti.
Two more pictures from the yearly photo shoot also known as All of You SMILE and DO IT NOW So We Will Have a Decent Picture to Put in the Frame We Are Giving Grandmother Pate for Her Birthday:
I'm going to try to blog every day this week. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:
What kind of camera did you get?
It's an entry-level Olympus DSLR. It's pretty small, which comforts me, but the LENS! Really intimidates me. I'm going to read the manual, then I'm going to go back and read some of your photography tips.
Good luck with the new camera! I'd recommend practicing on still life rather than on your kids at first. Kids tend to move around too much. :)
Post a Comment