I really need to better organize our reading list and create some categories and a more accurate ranking system. We obviously trend heavily toward books about animals, but I think I can come up with some sub-categories. Examples:
1.Books About Little Girls and Their Beloved Stuffed Bunnies: Emma Bean by Jean Van Leuwen and the Knuffle Bunny trilogy.
2.Books About Dogs Who Run Away (humorous): Harry the Dirty Dog (Graham), Angus Lost! (Flack), The Great Gracie Chase (Rylant), The Stray Dog (Simont), Ivan the Terrier (Catalanotto).
3.Books About Animals Who Are Getting a New Sibling and Feel Some Ambivalence: What's in the Egg, Little Pip? (Wilson) A Baby Sister for Frances (Hoban), It's Quacking Time (Waddell)
4. How about Seemingly Simple Stories That Actually Introduce Big Ideas Like The Origin of Man and the Sanctity of All Life In a Way That is Winsome and Does Not Involve Placards? : Yellow and Pink (Steig), and Horton Hears a Who (Seuss)
5. Books About Bears and/or Rabbits Who Think They Want to Be Alone But Who Are Actually Made for Community: Bear Snores On (Wilson), A Visitor for Bear (Becker), Too Many Frogs! (Asher)
It's actually fun! I have a really good book that's basically an annotated bibliography of quality children's literature (Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt) that has really helped guide our reading choices. I rarely just grab books from the shelf anymore, though that is how I found Mo Willems, so I don't discount it entirely.
Harper is brand new today. She winced but was very brave when the nurse swabbed her throat for strep (negative!) at the doctor's office. We left with a hug and a diagnosis of "probable virus, no treatment necessary." This morning she woke up ravenous and has not complained of any more headaches. I took Winnie-the Pooh with us to read while we waited, and she is understanding and appreciating the humor in a new way. "Pooh Bear," she confided on the way home, "is not very smart. HE WAS the WOOZLE! And Piglet was the WIZZLE!" and today, she laughed uproariously over Owl's spelling of "Happy Birthday" on Eyeore's present from Pooh. She made me read the "HIPY PAPY BTHUTHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY" part three different times.

1 comment:
Must pick up Edwina. We love dinosaurs, and I'm sure I can make the name Reginald sound like "poop" somehow. Yesterday, the girls made me say, "shiPOOPie" again.
LOVE Mo Willems. We laugh out loud when we read his books.
Post a Comment