1. A couple of nights ago, Helena was patting me on my leg and she said, "Mommy! Sand on leg!" Only I wasn't actually sandy. Just a little remiss with the shaving.
2. A few days ago after enjoying some time in the hammock (a phrase which, I realize, means that any tale of woe that follows, even if it is something like, "I stepped out directly upon a rusty machete that severed my small toe and gave me a raging case of gangrene and also ringworm," will be greeted with a snort, and a "Poor YOU. You know when I get out of MY hammock--oh, WAIT, I don't HAVE a hammock PLUS I WORK for a LIVING.") I was ducking under the tree under which I had pulled the hammock for some shade, and I wacked my face into the metal hammock stand really SUPER hard and knocked myself to the ground. It really did hurt, plus I felt very silly. But then that night I decided to brave the Very Dangerous Hammock Dismount yet again and went out for some star gazing after everyone was in bed. I came in a little later and found Harper on her way back from a bathroom trip, and even though it was way past time for her to be asleep, I took her back outside with me and we snuggled there in the hammock together and looked at the stars and counted them. I don't do things like that often enough and I'd like that to change. Because she will be six in a few weeks and then she will be 16 a few weeks later and then what will I do? What will I DO??
3. Today we were in Kidtropolis at the Children's Museum and there were a few school groups there and this group of 2nd grade boys, when they saw the police station, which has a real police car in it, began darting around and shouting, "The cops are here!" and their tone was not like, "Goody! The cops are here! I want to be a police man some day so I can help mankind by enforcing the laws our society has put in place to lead us all into right behavior!" Nope, it sounded like, "The cops are here!! Somebody flush the drugs and hide the firearms with the scratched off serial numbers!" Why would a second grader already be wired that way? Let's blame television and hope it wasn't from first hand experience, shall we?
4. Tonight I had Harper use the nail brush on her toenails and told her she didn't want to have "hermit toes" because that is what I call toenails that need a little more attention than we usually give them. So she said, "What IS a hermit?" and I said, "It's a person who decides they would rather be by themselves than be around people so they live maybe out in the forest all by themselves so that it's always very quiet." Hudson asked, with a little apprehension in his voice, "Mommies with kids?" and as much as I wanted to say, "YES. EXACTLY." I refrained and said that No, mommies with kids don't usually indulge in hermit-like behavior.
5. Speaking of voices (drat, a segue) Helena has officially developed her "animal voice." All three kids got one pretty early. It's at least 2 octaves above their normal speaking voices and is used when their stuffed animals (or sometimes cars and action figures, and also, on occasion, snacks) talk to me or each other. This morning her puppy greeted me, "Hi Mommy! Hug?" and it was very cute, and then Elmo was trying to tell me something that I didn't quite get because it was so very high pitched.
6. The kids and I were at my parents' a week or so ago and my dad got my mom's (35 year old?) bike out of the storage shed, and Harper, Hudson and I took a few bike rides together. Then each night while my mom got the kids in bed, I'd go out again and ride. I rode all over Port Neches, and I decided riding on an old bike (with a nice wide seat) at dusk is one of life's great pleasures. I'm thinking about wanting a bike of my very own now. With a nice wide seat. That I will ride at dusk.
Let's end with some pictures of cousins enjoying the carnival at the Port Neches Riverfest:

5 comments:
Love this. I need to be better about recording the little random happenings of my life - so reading your fun list was a good reminder to me to savor the little things that make up the busy days of life with littles. :)
p.s. when I read about your kids' animal voices, I thought, "hey- my kids use abnormally high-pitched squeaky voices all the time too, please tell me this is just a phase because the noise is driving me nuts". But then I kept reading and realized that your children use them for pretend animals, while mine seem to be wishing to be animals themselves! :)
You are the queen of a good segue.
You are so funny. My nephew had an animal voice last time I was around him, along with making noises just for the sake of making noises. It was hilarious because I only had to endure it for two days.
I saw a woman on a bike the other day and it was the best bike ever. I considered chasing her down in my car like a pace car, rolling down my window and asking her where she got it. It looked vintage but it wasn't and it was bright red.
Loved this! I agree, I need to take time to have more moments with my "going on 16" girl. I liked your description of the second graders - yes I do hope it's from tv and not their parents! And bike rides at dusk - yes!
I love the animal voices. Sarah uses them every night as one of her animals tells me night-night, and I love you. I tell myself I'll write down what they say and how they sound and then don't. The hermit comment made me laugh.
And sigh. I'm with you on that.
Post a Comment