Monday, May 16, 2011

Miss Bojangles

Just now I was checking the expiration date on some Pace picante sauce I had in the refrigerator and I couldn't remember what year it is. Is is 2010? No, I think it is 2011. I had to look at the calendar to confirm. Also, at the park the other day, I was trying to explain classical education to another mom and I said "triumvirate" instead of "trivium". So. clearly Caesar, Antony, and Pompey was it? are going to be key in educating my kids. In other news not at all related to my encroaching dementia, Harper had her dance recital on Friday. She was greatly dismayed when she heard the very sad news a month or so ago that Miss Gwen intended that Harper's class was going to be tapping in the big recital. As much as I thought Harper would love the tap portion of her tap/ballet combo class (because tapping is so very very noisy) she has only tolerated it and has, instead, loved ballet. So she had, all year, looked forward to dazzling what was sure to be a very large audience with her plies and jetes and swan-like grace. Anyway, she managed to recover from this Deep Disappointment and performed with enthusiasm.

Before:


During:



And after:


Hudson says, "Say Hopper is bootiful or ELSE!"

Harper and the girls had quite a bit of time to wait before it was their turn to perform (they were LAST) and one of the conversations they had between practicing their shuffles and telling each other how they didn't recognize one another all gussied up and then, busily coloring, was What Are You Going To Be When You Grow Up? Anna said she was going to be a mommy who stayed at home while her husband made money and Harper piped up, "Not ME! I am NOT going to be a mommy because it is TOO MUCH WORK!" a sentiment she has expressed to me on more than one occasion, the last one being while I was in the middle of changing a diaper of the worst kind. I know I should not let this bother me, but I think it is a good reminder to mother with more joy and less audible sighing and general annoyance. Though I don't think I particularly longed to be a mommy at her age either. She also this week, when asked by the husband WHO had taught her to read so well, said, "I just taught myself!" Nice. After ALL of my HARD WORK (sigh, grumble).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Meadow was sitting with me when I clicked on your post and she said, "I like her dress Mommy. Can we go to their house since they have water guns?"
Harper looked lovely.
And thank you for the reminder to not huff and puff so much about motherhood! :)

Margie said...

Harper looks so happy and pleased about the performance! I, too, had thought E would take to tap like a fish to water (as noisy and excited as it is), but she was not so moved by it, and wants to return to strictly ballet in the fall.

I remember pronouncing to my second grade class that I had learned to read from The Electric Company. At that moment my teacher, the wonderful Mrs. Ridlehuber, snorted her coffee.