Monday, April 18, 2011

Observant

I realized, when I saw many, many yarmulkes at Target today, that tomorrow is Passover. Our Target is in what I suppose is the epicenter of Judaism in Houston. The family behind us in line had 4 extremely adorable, modestly dressed,well-behaved kids, and the mom had on the cutest, most natural looking wig I've ever seen. I felt dumb buying the egg dyeing kits and 2 dozen eggs that were the purpose of our trip (we are having some friends over tomorrow for Easter Fun). I wanted to say something like, "I really do hate how Easter and Christmas have been hijacked by Commercialism and Schmaltz and Candy and bunnies and Santa. I really wish we in Christendom did a better job of combating it and instead truly observed Lent and Advent and truly and joyfully and abundantly celebrated the birth and death and resurrection. I believe Jesus was who he said he was! I believe he died and rose again! I believe it has nothing to do with baskets or chocolate or fancy clothes! And yet, yes, if you look in my basket you will see that I let my son choose a dye kit and it is "Star Wars" themed, even though he has never actually seen "Star Wars." So, while you ponder anew the matzoh and the bitter herbs, we'll be putting Luke Skywalker stickers on these cheap eggs which I can guarantee you at $1.19 are NOT kosher."

Remember how loud it is in my head? Loud.

Speaking of resurrection, we looked at some houses this weekend. We drove out to the suburbs and found new houses we can almost afford. The siren song is strong. The model homes were so sparkling clean and well-planned. The insulation! The space! No Strange Smells! The shiny appliances! The mold-free grout! The huge windows, perfectly placed! One of the models even had a shared play area outside of the kids' bedrooms that was set up as a school room! Perfection! But, then you walk outside and it's identical houses and sidewalks for millions of miles in every direction. The trees are tiny and won't offer shade for another 20 years. We are in the car for a very long time to get back to the city. Many miles to go. So then on Sunday, the pastor at Ecclesia reminded me that he and his family bought a house in a rather blighted area of Houston that got left behind when everyone decided to cut their losses and head for the shiny new houses in the suburbs. These are big houses, and well-built. With beautiful shade trees! And cheap! We saw a 4 bedroom, 3,500 square foot house for $115,000!! It backs up to the abandoned golf course and its abandoned country club which has recently, after much lobbying by the steadfast residents, been purchased by the city to turn into green space and retention ponds. Hope! Alas, there is not a single recognizable grocery store or any other familiar franchise for many miles around. Crime, I suspect, is near and unavoidable. Do we dare? To reclaim the blighted? It is so much easier to start new. I just realized you can make the metaphor spiritual either way. Blast it.

Plus our dear friends the B's are moving to Dallas and the change might do me in. It's inevitable but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Bah.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

First, at the risk of being labeled your pushy Catholic friend, there are several services this week at any Catholic church you could go to to really observe in a contemplative manner the magnitude of the meaning behind the event. One of my favorites is Holy Thursday (usually in the evening) and Good Friday (sometimes mid afternoon). I cried the first time I went to a Holy Thursday service when they do the washing of the feet etc. And you know I tear easily at religious services :)

Second, I'm no expert on Houston real estate, but they do have some areas where homes are affordable with mature trees. When you say blight, do you mean hypodermic needles littering the sidewalks and abandoned crack houses, or something much more tame and Texan? My mom would consider my neighborhood blighted probably ! :)

Patti said...

Hello Schtaysh! You know, I feel like there are some Protestant churches that are doing a much better job with the liturgy as well. I went to my first maundy Thursday service at a Presbyterian church several years ago and found it deeply moving. I think the universality of the Catholic mass would get me too--so many millions (billions even?) of people all over the world in so many languages reciting the same words on the same day--it's staggering to imagine.

This particular neighborhood would not have hypodermics on our sidewalk, probably, but definitely a couple of blocks away. And the road between the freeway and the neighborhood was pretty overwhelmingly post-apocalyptic in appearance. Abandoned strip malls and apartment complexes--I don't think I even saw any pawn shops or pay day lenders!!! Pretty forsaken. Probably some stray hypodermics there. I did imagine what Bonnie would think as she drove in the first time. I will not give up though!!

Davene Grace said...

Your first paragraph put such a big smile on my face. It also made me miss Israel, which is common this time of year when I think about Passover there.

I've been thinking about you quite a bit these days as I've tried to get through the end of On the Banks of Plum Creek. Have you decided to go on to the next one, or to leave Laura and Mary on the shelf for a while?

May your Easter be very meaningful, despite the Star Wars eggs! :)

Margie said...

I came back to this post with the realization that your comments about houses has been bouncing around in my brain since I read it. What to do? I suspect that sometime in the very near future we will be moving to one of those newbies far away (relatively speaking - this is FW, after all). Having done the old house thing - total fix-up, we added a bigger closet and storage shed to make up for our lack of garage, which had been turned into (wonderfully more) kitchen space. For 2 years we lived in a lumbar yard, which was fine at the time without kids. But now...gosh. I, too, am lured by the shininess and cleanliness and lack of immediate need for repair.

We say we're committed to staying here for a year - time to see how often he'll drive to Big D (Love) to determine if moving closer need be mandatory, time to graduate Sarah from the preschool she loves and for E to have the first grade teacher we assume and expect we'll love, time to figure out whether the 'burbs are our destiny.

I'm trying not to dig in and say no since Wayne said yes to an old house for me. Trying not to be too rigid and fixed in my ways and miss out on the fun that can found wherever we are.

So those are my thoughts for today. Will be mailing your package this week. Will alert you when I do.