So, we are not busy. We have one day a week (Wednesdays) where we have to be somewhere in the morning at a particular time (we get together to play with two other homeschooling families)and somewhere in the afternoon at a particular time (Harper's ballet class). Two Friday mornings a month we get together, rather informally, with a group of friends at a park. We go to church most Sunday mornings. And that is all we have planned. See? Not busy.
There are all sorts of philosophical and spiritual and emotional and educational reasons to homeschool. On any particular day, I have several internal debates in which I revisit our decision. I'm sorry to report that there are many days when "Because the thought of the carpool line makes me fall into apoplexy" is the most compelling reason I can muster. That's not good. There's no use in creating a vacuum if you aren't going to fill it with something Good. So, the goal for these days we've left wide open is to really strive to be productive--joyfully, actually productive.
RESOLVED: to have sufficient time to clean the house properly (and with a happy heart--Oh, the agony of this impossible aspiration), to read aloud, for an hour or two if interest dictates, to go to the museum on the day it is free and find a Georgia O'Keefe painting of a shell to copy,
and I really just want to say no. No, I do not want to sew any stingray pajamas. I also do not want to load the dishwasher. I do not want to read On the Banks of Plum Creek out loud. I do not want to deal with the mini blinds. I do not want to clean my desk (which is piled up with stacks of papers and books) or my bedside chest(which is piled up with stacks of clothes that need to be put away). I do not want to do another load of laundry.
So.
Instead of all of that whining, how will I fill the vacuum today? How about this:
1. A faithful, kind husband (who has a job that he truly loves).
2. Healthy kids (who obey far more often than they disobey).
3. Healthy grandparents (who love our kids and are not too far away for frequent visits).
4. A good many good friends.
5. 73 degrees and sunny (in the middle of February).
6. Many good books, yet to be read.
Now, I feel better. Perhaps we might even make some pajamas for a poor stingray who has none.

5 comments:
love your list of things to be thankful for. And I love the Heifer Int. too!!!
Did you sew the octopus or did Harper?
I wish I could say she sewed it, Lisa. She "helped" me draw the pattern and cut, I stitched it, and she stuffed it. Today she sewed a few stitches on the pajamas and I pretty much did the rest. I need to find some large (and dull) sewing needles to let her practice making stitches.
I think Jonathan Edwards would be very impressed with your resolutions.
I also think that my new posts will consist of something like "Just go read what Patti wrote and then imagine someone saying it far less articulately and then you'll know my thoughts, too." It will be a huge time saver and I can spend more time wiping down my blinds.
I agree with Jamie! My posts are going to be so simple now. ;-)
We, too, are Not Busy these days, and it's wonderful. I am a different mother when I'm not stressed (the stress which, for me, comes mostly from scheduled things on the calendar). But even though we don't have a lot of events and activities planned, I can't seem to get done the things that need doing. Since I can't ever stay caught up entirely with laundry, housecleaning, etc, I just have to make up my mind to be Happy. Because I can control that. Well, sometimes... :)
Post a Comment