Sunday, February 20, 2011

The red shoes

A few months back my friend Mrs. S noticed that we wear lots of red shoes. I hadn't really thought about it but then I decided to gather them all up one day:

Those are my new Frye boots. I've wanted some since somewhere around 1990. I never planned on red but that's what Nordstrom Rack presented to me at a 70 % discount, so, red it is.

The Daddy gave Hudson a haircut. Before:

and after:

I also got a haircut, though not from the husband. I went to a local school that trains hair stylists. It was an interesting experience. The trainee does most of the cutting and then the teacher swoops in at the end to demonstrate New Techniques. At this point a whole crowd of students hovered over my head and it made me feel a little like a patient with a very rare disease (freakishly thick, wiry hair, perhaps?) at a teaching hospital. I like the haircut, though it frightened me that at one point there were two ladies working with two flat irons to style my mane. Because nothing says "I'll never be able to recreate this at home" like two people wielding two scorching hot styling devices and spending almost an hour to reach the desired effect.

It looked completely different after I washed it. Ah, well.

We finished the stingray pajamas and Stingray-ee, after initially expressing genuine delight with his pj's, wore them only one night before deciding they were a bit snug. So, rather than make Stingray-ee another pair of pj's (which has been suggested)I have rather callously suggested that maybe he should go on a little Reducing Plan like Pooh did that one time he got stuck in Rabbit's window.

And yes, yes I will absolutely be starting my own Etsy shop to sell hand-stitched stingray pajamas (one size too small) and painfully homemade looking octopi. I will sell them for around $1000 apiece because I took a semester of Economics at Texas A&M and learned all about supply and demand. And please, if more people knew about my hand sewn masterpieces it would be like Twitter or something. BILLIONS in growth potential.

4 comments:

Zoe said...

I laughed out loud at the idea of putting the stingray on a reducing diet. Too funny. So many classic lines/ideas from AA Milne.
And - regarding getting locked out - do you know the trick of opening a locked doorknob with a credit card? That trick has saved my skin more than once. I actually keep an old (rather bent now) card in my wallet just in case I lock myself out of the house (again). I would think it should work on interior knobs too. Being on the wrong side of a locked door with your children on the other side is such a bad feeling!

Robin said...

I absolutely love those stingray pajamas.

Patti said...

You know, Zoe, I DID try the credit card (as my husband tried to describe it on the other end of the phone without rending his garment and gnashing his teeth) and I don't know if the door was too flush with the jamb or what, but I couldn't get it to work.

Robin--if you have $1000 to spare, I will make you some. While I listen to the Avett Brothers.

Maria Smith said...

Hey Patti!! you did have a pair of red shoes like the ones in the picture (with no back) at IBLA in Hungary....I know that because I remeber I wanted so bad a pair like those. HA:)) lets have some counselling:)) what does red say about you? What does it mean to you? How do you feel when you wear red? bla bla bla...you are such a great person to read posts from...keep them up. NIce hair nice lady miss ya.