Sunday, June 20, 2010

a time to dance



After months of anticipation, including a countdown that started the day after her birthday, Harper finally had her first ballet class on Friday. It did not disappoint, though I think there was a little more "this is your right foot, so I'm going to put a sticker on your shoe" than, "THIS, my glorious ballerinas, is how to execute a perfect GRAND JETE!!" she had been expecting. The class is actually a ballet and tap combination, which means the girls get to change shoes in the middle of the class, which I think must be really fun for the teacher. Hudson did not like the situation at all. He kept asking if Harper was going to stay in that room forever, or if she would be coming home with us at some point. I explained to him that she would just be away from us for 45 minutes, which is, of course, the same as forever to a three year old boy. He kept his sunglasses on the whole time, even though we were inside, and at one point I asked him what was wrong and he said, "NUFFIN'" in a gruff voice that was almost crying but trying very hard not to. The reunion was very sweet and Harper was more than ready to tell him all about there being three other girls who were ALSO FIVE and two other girls who ALSO LIKE PINK. Hudson decided he is ready for Karate Class or maybe Army Man Class and probably Drumming Class. I told him maybe when he is five and he seemed okay with that.

Harper drew a little combination Father's Day card/First Day of Ballet picture. She sounded out the words and spelled them all by herself.
"HAPPEE FOthRRTS DAY"--which very much reminds me of:


So Owl wrote...and this is what he wrote:
HIPY PAPY BTHETHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY
Pooh looked on admiringly.
"I'm just saying 'A Happy Birthday'," said Owl carelessly.
"It's a nice long one," said Pooh, very much impressed by it.

We like our Daddy, by the way. He wanted to go to a nearby Bass Pro Shop to look at guns and tents and knives and things. So, after church, we did.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

She's such a pretty ballerina, so sweet!

Jamie said...

How exciting! Ballet and tap! She looks beyond thrilled.