When we are out and about most mornings, I am exceedingly thankful that she is perfectly content to sit in the stroller and watch the world. We went to the Museum of Fine Art this morning and she stayed in the stroller the whole time, just quietly looking around. As an aside, Harper and Hudson were intrigued with the Iranian art and especially the documentary footage of some Sufi mystics doing this dervish prayer dance. I really regret wandering into a temporary exhibit of an artist named Alice Neel who, according to her bio, is known for her "psychologically acute" portraits. No thank you, I say to this:
Yes, please, I say to you, John Singer Sargent, with your lovely Mrs. Sears, decidedly not "psychologically acute" in her glowing white gown.
You can call me provincial or prudish or even just ignorant, but I just don't like modern art. Nope. Blah. I mean I get that great art is Supposed To Make Me FEEL or whatever, but if the feeling is nausea mixed with mild disgust, that isn't useful, is it? Okay, I FEEL better.Back to Helena. She is using her teeny tiny voice to make some words. I finally got "mama" out of her this week. Up until now, I would say, "Helena, can you say 'Mommy'?" and she would look at me, smile sweetly, and say "DA-dee." She says Harper ("Hah-poo"), Hudson ("seh-seh"), Sasha ("HI dee-dee!"), night-night, Grandfather ("deh DEH deh"), Grandmother (also "deh DEH deh"), balloon ("buh--oo"), thank you ("day-oo"), and Helena ("huh yah yah"). Speaking of Grandfather Pate, we visited him this weekend to make sure he is behaving himself after fracturing his pelvis two weeks ago. His lap, thankfully, is intact:
I watched the entirety of the Indianapolis 500 with him (we both napped somewhere around mile 285). The winner drinks milk, and I have no idea why.

3 comments:
I LOVE that picture of your dad and Helena. It is too cute and she looks extra tiny b/c he's so huge.
If it makes you feel better, it took Izzy 2 1/2 years to say Linda Lee's name (she was going for "Granny") and she was undoubtedly Izzy's favorite at the time. Maybe it has something to do with the fact she hasn't separated from you yet. Maybe you are included in "Helena".
For a while every time I would ask her to say "Mommy" she would smile really big and pat herself on her chest with her palms open--her own little sign language.
I thought the same thing when I saw the picture with my dad. Very shelter of His wings.
Hello! Love your note! Wow, very envious of Helena but I am pleased for you all. Zac sleeps okish but right now teething (at only 4months) and hey fever suffering. So spare a thought for us!
Mx
Post a Comment