Monday, June 14, 2010

sand, shorn, swim, sulfurous

Harper got a sandbox for her birthday, and when we can again step outside without the sensation that we might actually be walking on the sun, we will be doing lots more of this:

Hudson got his second haircut, and I fear this is the one from whence the curls will not return. He is upset in this picture not because of the haircut, but because the haircut necessitated the removal of his shirt, an act which inexplicably vexes him deeply.


We went to spend a few days with my dad while my mom took a little Hill Country respite with some friends. The walker was a source of great entertainment:

As were the pool and slip-n-slide in the backyard. Helena especially enjoyed herself:

Harper and Hudson say, "FIRST one there is a rotten egg!" when they are racing through the house to get somewhere. Like being a rotten egg is a very exalted state of being. It tickles me and I don't plan to correct them any time soon. We are going through a very silly phase here at our house. A silly, loud phase, where comedy is found in things that I (and any other adult, I would presume) find annoying. Margie posted a while back about her girls' ongoing and utter delight in the word "shipoopie"
We've had something quite similar around here. Harper and Hudson came up with a little story about a baby named Elmo who, to his great misfortune, had some poo on his foot. The story got a little louder and their paroxysms of delight a little more wild with each retelling, until my nerves just couldn't take it anymore. As glad as I was that they were having such fun with the art of narration, I finally had to ask them to stop being so loud and silly, and that I didn't want to hear the word "poo-poo" again unless someone other than baby Elmo actually needed to go to the toilet. So they started saying things like, "Baby Elmo has POPE on his TOE!" and "Now Baby Elmo has POP on his bottom!" Today Harper was experimenting with bizarre mouth noises and I finally said to her, "You know Harper, I am going to ask you to stop doing that for no other reason than I am finding it incredibly annoying."

3 comments:

Jo said...

Ah yes. The lovely potty talk. Our rule around here is that if you want to make potty jokes, go to the bathroom and tell them to the toilet. Somehow, it's never fun and they finally stop.

Ken said...

Ahhh....yes, but, and I hate to tell you this, the potty jokes and noises only seem to get worse as they get older. My boys all took great delight in learning how to make "body" noises w/ just their hand in the armpit. Who knew that could bring such entertainment?!?!?

Carrie

Margie said...

Ah, so I'm not the only one with kids who get the rotten egg thing backward? Elizabeth would race to the door saying exactly what Harper and Hudson do. And the scene at your house with "other" words, could have been lifted from mine EXCEPT that Sarah continues to say things like "poo-poo head" while Elizabeth can get more creative. Jeez. Some days are longer than others.