Monday, June 28, 2010

dog days of summer


I haven't felt like blogging. I've been doing lots of Thinking, which is generally useless and exhausting and results in not much other than a general feeling of disquietude. As I get older I find I am less able to be certain about anything, which is much more exhausting than being right ever was. So.

We made a rather impromptu zoo trip this morning and it started raining just as we pulled in the parking lot.

Top Five Benefits to Going to the Zoo Even Though It Is Raining:

1. You will get a good parking place.

2. The temperature will be 80 degrees instead of the 97 degrees with a heat index of 103 that had been forecast.

3. Puddle jumping.

4. Frisky animals like Baylor the brand new elephant, who was doing lots of extremely cute things like galloping.

5. Spending lots of time in places like the bird house and the reptile house and the aquarium, which usually get a perfunctory walk-through just to escape the heat. There were several delightful middle school aged volunteers in the reptile house, one of whom who was a fount of information. He told us, among many, many other things, that Blanco the white alligator is actually a leucistic gator and not an albino. He (the boy, not the alligator) had Asperger's, and his unusual gifts were being put to very good use, except when he kept trying to show a model of a toad to a toddler, who did not want to see the toad and began to cry. The volunteer kept asking the mother, "I don't understand why he is crying? WHY is he crying?"

So, what else? We went to a free Houston Symphony outdoor concert last week. The conductor likes to give a little backstory between songs (which meant some disturbing information last summer when the theme was Russian Fairy Tales) and before they played "Finlandia," he explained that at the time it was composed, Finland was oppressed under Russian rule and that the melody was a reflection of the tumult. Harper asked why the song sounded scary and sad and then happy and I tried to explain and failed miserably. I said something like "Well, Russia wanted the land where Finland was and the Finnish people didn't want to give it to them but they took it anyway, which made the Finnish people sad then, listen to this peaceful part? Okay, that represents the Finnish people getting their country and their freedom back, or maybe it's a reflection of their wistful longing for freedom...and hey, it's also the melody to "Be Still, My Soul"--we sing that at church sometimes.." and with that ended my paltry attempt at explaining patriotism, or imperialism, or was it Marxism? Czarism? Oligarchy? Hegemony?

Tonight while I was giving Helena her bath, Harper wanted to play "school" with Hudson, which I thought was a great idea. She loaded up her backpack, got her bike out and said, "Okay, Hudson, you are the little brother who stays in his room and plays quietly while I ride off to school with the other big kids." You can imagine how Hudson felt about his role. He hopped on his tricycle and sped after her down the hall and it all just fell apart from there.

Helena ate an entire block of sauteed tofu pretty much by herself tonight. She has also been devouring raspberries and cantaloupe and kiwi. She has really discovered puzzles this week.
And Wilberforce the horse, whose handle has been commandeered by a certain brother, who uses it as a gun, or sometimes, a sword:

Harper took some pictures of Sasha this afternoon and they, all very many of them, look about like this:
Here is a ranking of the people who live in our house based on how much they like Sasha.

1. the Husband
2. Hudson
3. Helena
4. Harper
5. me

Hudson and Helena are always happy to see her, and greet her with sounds of delight. Harper likes her very much, but gets annoyed when anything of hers gets chewed on. The curious thing is, the fool dog loves me with an ardor that is difficult to explain. It's possible she even likes me a teeny bit more than she does the husband, who feeds her and tends to her and talks to her in a special voice. Is she trying to win me over because she senses my indifference? I don't really MIND her, except when she won't do her number two business outside because the grass is too long or too wet or whatever ridiculous, fastidious princess and the pea reason she won't go outside even though she is a DOG, and then she comes in and instead does her number two business in the front room behind the table. I don't like her then. And she is still pretty puppy-ish in that if I haven't seen her in awhile and she is quiet, it's pretty certain that she has found something unacceptable to chew on, for example my pale pink ballet flat, or something unspeakable from the trash, or a dart from Hudson's new Nerf gun. But every night when the rest of the house is in bed, she insists on curling up behind my head on the top of the couch cushion and she is calm and sweet and peaceful and every few minutes she'll sigh and open her sleepy eyes and stare at me adoringly and I like her then.

Harper chose the stories before bed tonight and this is what we read:

1. Wifrid Gordon McDonald Patridge by Mem Fox, ill. by Julie Vivas (LOVE her illustrations!) (I defy you not to cry when you read this book. It's not sad for kids though. It's about a little boy who lives next door to an old folks home and he helps one of the ladies get her memories back. Beautiful.)

2. Angus Gets Lost by Marjorie Flack. (We like Angus and his antics.)

3. The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack and Kurt Weise. (I'm not sure I'm pronouncing Yangtze correctly when I read it.)

4. Sheep Take a Hike by Nancy Shaw, ill. by Margot Apple

5. Wheels on the GO! (Hudson's choice--it's little poems about different vehicles, like race cars and jeeps.)

8 comments:

Erin said...

we read ping not too long ago. i also worried over the pronunciation of the river. it is a major river, i felt foolish not knowing how to say it. we saw the tarantula today at the zoo, and i thought of the symphony and y'all. that was an especially fun day for us.

Davene said...

I, for one, am glad you got over your Thinking stage and got back to a Blogging stage. :)

When I read The Story of Ping, I, too, am unsure about Yangtze.

The reptile house? I just don't think I could do it.

With our new kitten, I'm reminded of why my mother was in no hurry for us to get pets when we were kids. Even though we begged and pleaded and promised that WE would feed it, she KNEW that after the initial enthusiasm died down, she would be the one to care for the poor thing. She was right. I am the one who takes care of our kitten, even though I'm not really a cat person. I just hope it repays me by scaring away any snakes that might dare to lurk around here in the next ten years.

Hegemony? I had to look that word up.

I'm in that "less able to be certain about anything" stage, and I'm frantically trying to find my way out of it. Maybe I never will.

Thanks for your post.

:)

Margie said...

I think I'm going to borrow your first sentence for my next post.

We went to the library today and the first place I headed was F. For Fox. But I didn't find Mem's book. We've decided to alternate between our small, regional branch and the Big (downtown) library this summer, so perhaps it will be there. I'm fairly sure we checked out Wheels on the GO a few weeks ago. Sarah's choice.

Zoe said...

Love all your book recommendations on the side bar. I am running out of places to keep our growing collection of picture books - but that is a nice problem to have. :) Have you read Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney, and The Rooster's Gift by Pam Conrad, and Adventure on Klickitat Island by Hilary Horder Hippely? Those are favorites at our house this week. I am a sucker for children's books with good illustrations.

And - I found a comment you left on my blog ages ago (sorry for not seeing it sooner!), asking about my camera - it is new (refurbished actually), a Canon Rebel T1i. My husband bought it for me because our old camera was on its very last leg. :)

Jo said...

Oh, I love "Wilfred...!" I do cry. Every time I read it. Izzy likes it, but it always weirds her out when I start sniffling. As for the English pronunciation of Yangtze, I suspect you got it right.

(yang-see, -tsee; Chin. yahng-tse)

The Chinese call it the Chang Jiang. That would be a lot harder to say. In Chinese, or at least Mandarin, my old roommate taught me there are three different ways to pronounce syllables. Each way (flat, rise, or drop - I think) has a distinct meaning. Therefore, it makes it even harder to pronounce.

Chrys and Mike said...

I say "Yang-see". But don't listen to me. Just today I had to look up Sui Dynasty to see if I was pronouncing it correctly. I wasn't. And I was a history teacher! My only consolation is that I taught Early American and there weren't many Suis to learn about in colonial times.

Love your book recs. And your stories. Of course.

Chrys

Patti said...

Hi ladies! I appreciate the encouragement and pronunciation tips. I was saying yang-see, but thought it might be yang-say--and now I'm absolutely certain my intonation is completely off and I'm probably teaching my children to say something like "bucket of slime".

Thanks for the suggestions, Zoe. We haven't read any of those and I am going to add them to my library request queue right now! Margie--do the FW libraries have online request? It is amazing. I can request a book from any Houston Public Library and it is sent to my local branch and held for me until I pick it up. It has revolutionized our reading.

Jo said...

Fear not, my dear. The English pronunciation is quite straightforward and you said it right (my pronunciation is pasted from dictionary.com). It's the Chinese that's scary. I dare not attempt it.