We took two long walks today because the weather is sublime. Hudson rode his bike and I pulled the girls in the wagon. Sasha did not join us because she has a special gift for entangling her leash in everything, thus making walks involving wheels a special torture for her and me.
I went to Anthropologie yesterday and got two shirts and what may be the most comfortable pair of pants I have ever owned that aren't pajama pants. I have written before about my conflicted relationship with Anthropologie. Which explains why I ended up back there today to return one of the shirts. I just didn't like it as much as I needed to in order to justify the expense. Anyway, just down from Anthropologie an animal rescue organization was having an adoption weekend. I didn't want to go in, then I caught a glimpse of some puppies and I couldn't help myself. I was walking around reading each dog's story (this particular rescue group gets dogs and cats from shelters, then fosters them before finding permanent homes for them) and yes, I did start crying. And then this one dog made eye contact with me. He did. Sustained eye contact, and he told me with his beautiful brown eyes that he had heard about Sasha and he thought we probably had room for another dog at our house. And so I left. And then I got in the car and listened to one of Robbie Seay's new songs called "Kingdom and a King" and I cried some more and I could not stop thinking about those dogs. And then I started crying about foster kids. And orphans. And heaven. And how the Bible doesn't give us many details about it. And how theologians have supposed that perhaps it's because if we knew too much about the glory that awaits, that we, upon conversion, would do something drastic to get there before we were finished with what we are supposed to do here. So there is not much about heaven I am willing to be sure about. But of this I feel certain:
There will be no strays.
No stray dogs. No stray kids. No Father MacKenzie darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there. None forgotten or abandoned or neglected. We will belong. We will belong. For eternity. Just think of it. Until then we are Orphan Annie, clinging to our stray dog and singing "Maybe" in the window, dreaming about what it is going to be like when we are finally home.

8 comments:
What animal rescue organization can afford the same rent as Anthropologie???
A really nice one--there seemed to be approximately one volunteer for every two animals. Maybe Highland Village is giving them a deal because it's an empty storefront? I wondered that too.
I also wondered if the folks at Williams-Sonoma minded the VERY LOUD barking of 40 dogs right next door when people were debating whether or not they should spend $200 on a new Le Creuset dutch oven.
HI! This was very touching...thanks. Mx
Heaven is one of my favorite subjects to think about, read about, sing about, dream about. I appreciated very much what you shared-such profound thoughts, so beautifully expressed. I'll continue to ponder this.
And, by the way, I left a long comment back to you in my post about Josiah playing violin. :)
My friend Elaine got a cat from a rescue shelter - he was the least desireable, kept to himself in a tight little ball in the corner. He's been a struggle for sure - serious trust issues - but he loves her and is a source of comfort.
By the way, when Elizabeth eats her one or two pieces of fruit A DAY I practically dance in the streets. She's good with apples and a few bites of banana. Otherwise it's Frosted Mini Wheats and fish sticks. The pediatrician's comment: "At least it's not all bad." I was hoping he would encourage her to try more a few new things...
And, lest I forget to say it, this was a really great post.
Patti,
Margie had passed along a blog award to me, and now I'm awarding it to you. I don't know if you "do" blog awards; but in any case, I want you to know how much I appreciate and respect the things you share here in your blog. I'm so glad Margie introduced us!
You are funny! I made my way here via Sylvan Drive. I loved this one and I had to click over to Anthropologie and had a great laugh. Love your sense of humor and your thoughts.
Post a Comment