You know, as my friend Lisa noted in the comments on the last post, I think Harper is pretty artistic. She certainly has the Artistic Temperament, by which I mean that she tends toward the moody and temperamental. We are working on changing that, but I'll be honest that this week has not been stellar. Anyway, I too thought her frog painting was fairly impressive considering she painted it without looking at a picture of a frog. Occasionally when I am painting one of the cards that I paint, I will show her what I am painting and she will paint one too. I painted these cherry blossoms for my friend Merry last week, and I thought Harper's attempt was quite good (and it is going to look really familiar to Swanks and Byrds if I can ever get to the post office and send their long overdue thank-you cards..):
That is a very small flamingo perched on Harper's top branch because she just really liked the pink paint and felt like a flamingo would be drawn to a cherry blossom.
I just said this actual statement to the husband: "I'm having trouble hearing you with my shower cap on." It's so romantic around here sometimes that things start bursting into flame I tell you.
I am decided that I will be permanently dissatisfied with my hair. I got my semi-annual haircut a couple of weeks ago and loved it until I had to wash it and dry it all by myself. Seriously, what kind of voodoo magic do those stylists have with their gigantic brushes and fancy blow-dryers? It looked so glossy and bouncy. Now? Parched straw in a drought. Like something the Joad family might encounter in the Dust Bowl. My hair is a Steinbeck setting.
We've had a pretty busy week. Monday we dyed Easter eggs because that is when all of the cool kids do it. There was lots of excitement then significant letdown when the kids realized that it is just not that fun. You'll note that we used a Puppies and Kittens dye kit because, and maybe there is no actual scripture to back this up,but I mean surely Jesus liked the puppies and kittens. Our eggs were too small for the egg wrapper things and the stickers didn't really stick very well because the dye took too long to dry:
Tuesday we went to the Children's Museum and mostly played outside. I would like for you to behold the almost unbearable cuteness of Helena's tiny feet in her new jelly sandals: (she is actually crouching underneath a little hatchery for baby chicks, which were also unbearably cute but I couldn't get them and the shoes in the shot)
She is getting three teeth at once but has not been the least bit cranky about it. Also, she has been waving without any prompting this week when she sees her friends or says good-bye. And she has made up her own sign for milk that involves both index fingers pointing up into the air and making little circles. AND she is saying Harper's name and it sounds like this "AH-fuhhhh."
And that gets us up to Tuesday and I will have to finish this tomorrow because I am sleepy.

6 comments:
Patti,
I've been lurking and reading your posts diligently since I found you on facebook and we emailed and you told me about your blog and then I promptly exited facebook so rudely :). You are so hilarious! I miss your dry wit but am so happy to get to read it over and over again in your adventures with your gorgeous children. You say things sometimes that make beverages come out my nose and stuff. Really really funny, so thank you. Your kids are darling and I love hearing stories of them. I see you in them so much. And of course, I love the occasional cameo by John and Bonnie! (waves hi!)
Anyway, I actually just ended my blog because I ran out of things to say, really my blog was quite shallow.
I just wanted to say hi!
Staci
(as in your Parkdale mall shopping buddy Staci)
Hello Shtashi! I'm thrilled you've been reading. It also pleases me that the things I think are hilarious seem funny to other people too. It's nice confirmation that I am not loony.
AND I just got back from a visit to your exquisite blog. So lovely.
I agree. Harper's painting is lovely. It really is amazing. Please tell her how much I liked it!
Patti,
Lately with the golden girls and shower cap stories, I can totally relate! So, so funny! I have bad knees and had to have my gallbladder taken out. What am I, 85?
I laughed out loud about the shower cap.
I'm awed by all the painting done in your family. I have ZERO ability to do anything with a pen, pencil, or paintbrush. I was cheered to learn that Elizabeth will get to take art classes next year, which I hope pushes her beyond simple coloring books, but in no time, she'll likely be better than me. My artistic ability is stuck at around age 3.
And hair, yes. Was so desperate I got the Cool Cuts for Kids lady trim 2.5 inches off the bangs, which didn't do much for it, either. Really pathetic for my age. I tell myself people look at my kids more than at me - it's the way I ignore it.
Post a Comment