Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The darling buds of March

It's really supposed to be 'the darling buds of MAY,' but if Mr. Shakespeare had lived in Texas, he would have realized that there is nothing temperate about May in Houston. Or particularly lovely, for that matter. But March? March is lovely. I noticed this morning that our oak tree in front has gone from completely bare to all over light green and leafy, seemingly overnight. And everything is covered in a pale yellow dust; evidence that male trees are aggressive in their procreative imperative. And many of us are aggressive in our autoimmune response to their procreative impairment. So long as men can breathe, indeed.

A few exciting announcements concerning my very own darling buds of March. On Monday, Harper learned to do the monkey bars at the park by herself, a skill which seems to result simply from longer arms since she last attempted, and not by any practicing on her part. And today, Hudson learned to pump himself on the swing, which thrills me because while I don't mind pushing necessarily, it is one more step to their utter outdoor independence. Which means I can get more laundry done. Or blogging, as the case may be. Helena Jane has tooth number two--the bottom right--and it doesn't appear to be causing her much aggravation. She is getting more and more independent by the day, which is a little exhausting for me. She is less content to sit and observe the world and is more intent on engaging it. For example by making a bee-line for the easel and trying to eat the chalk. OR the pebbles at the park. Or the mulch at the park. I have perfected the hooked finger method of extraction.

Also, and this will come as an enormous shock I am sure, we are keeping the dog. The husband made the big announcement yesterday, and the kids reacted with very little surprise, having been convinced from the minute they first saw her that she was theirs forever and ever amen, and that any sort of official Proclamation of Ownership was simply a formality. Anyway, I gave her a bath to celebrate and the husband bought her a cute little bed so she could start sleeping inside.

A girl, her pup, and her watergun Uzi. Touching, isn't it?


I just went to check on Harper, who is outside playing with the dog, and the bath of yesterday has been completely undone by some sort of mud treatment Harper has applied to the dog's back, because, and I quote, "She was drinking the muddy water!" The logic of a four and a half year old--that an appropriate alternative would be to instead cover the dog WITH mud. Sigh. You can forget it if you think for a second I am giving her another bath. Sasha, meet the hose.

7 comments:

Ken said...

I kept waiting and reading and reading and waiting for an annoucement concerning a budding stomach or budding baby or something to the likes. Keeping the dog just didn't seem as exciting when I just KNEW this post was going to be about your expanding family. ; )
Congrats on the dog. We are such a dog family, she has become like a
5th child to us. Honestly. My dad made the remark that I just needed another baby the way I dote on Kringle. Ken gave him a not so nice look and told him what he thought of that statement! HA! : ) Lovingly, of course.
Your life sounds lovely. Take care! Carrie

Robin said...

I admit that I was expecting some kind of announcement like that, too.

I had a feeling that you would end up keeping the dog. :)

Patti said...

Wow. I didn't even think about the implications of all of the fertility talk! I'll have to take it easy with the foreshadowing next time. The dog is enough for now, right??

Maria Smith said...

First paragraph is slightly beyong my Shakespeare knowledge but enjoying it...and really I should try harder aquiting myself with him cause well I LIVE IN UK...
Second paagraph so sweet love the things you write about the kids...and life in general around your house i can imagine it all.
(well written)
And the announcement! I was sure you will say BABY Nr 4 on the way...:)) but not surprised you keep the dog shows how much you love kids, husband and dog (deep down..) ENJOY the life with the four legged too!:)
XX M

Margie said...

Gosh, baby #4 never even crossed my mind (though it did with Davene when one of her posts was titled, "Five"). Congrats on the freedom gained with Hudson's big-boy swinging, and sorry about the very same lost (temporarily, of course) with Helena's independence. And the dog? I felt like the kids. Sasha's already family. Right, Mom?

Zoe said...

Hooray for warmer weather! We are loving spring in SC too.

Erin said...

of course you are keeping the dog. maybe i will give you a pet hair/lint roller as a present to celebrate.