Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Big boy bed

After an astonishing (and perhaps record breaking?) three YEARS and two months (that's around 1,144 nights. I used a calculator) spent sleeping in his Graco pack-and-play, the Hudson boy finally got a real bed (at Ikea, natch) on Saturday. He is thrilled. It has not affected his wondrous sleep habits, for which I am extremely grateful. There is plenty of room for all his animals, though a bear did fall out night before last and he somehow realized this at around 2 a.m. and was so distraught we were sure HE had fallen out of the bed.

Two other slightly less celebratory firsts:

1. On Saturday while I was putting some clothes in the drier, this startling proclamation from Harper, "Helena is chewing on little puppy's bone!" And yes, she was. And yes, it was one of those raw-hide things that get slimy and smell faintly of pork. And yes, her breath smelled faintly of pork.

2. Then yesterday while the big kids were playing with play-doh and I was following Helena around the house, I looked away for approximately 5 seconds to admire a play-doh sculpture and when I looked back Helena had a furtive look and was chewing on something. I dug it out and it was brown and kind of grainy. And smelled faintly of pork. Dog food. Clearly, she has not figured out the kids in this family are vegans. Or maybe she has and she is already rebelling.

Speaking of 'vegans' as a noun, is anyone else annoyed by the fairly new and widespread use of 'healthful' in place of 'healthy'? You know, I get that someone realized that healthy isn't an adverb and that we were using it as one, but sometimes I think you should just surrender to common usage and let it go. I've been meaning to write a post about how we eat at our house. Maybe I'll just start posting pictures like the Pioneer Woman does. Only her pictures look really pretty and mine look like they were taken in a cave. This was the kids' dinner Sunday night:
Hudson refers to this as nachos (though he pronounces it 'nachios')--organic blue corn and flax chips (Target brand), sliced avocado, shredded almond cheese, and cherry tomatoes. If we don't have an avocado, I usually put refried black beans on the chips. We love the Whole Foods brand organic refried beans in a can--they aren't actually 'refried'-just mashed with some added sea salt. Even Helena likes them. Perhaps not as much as she enjoyed the dog food, but maybe.

The Grandparents Hinze came for a nice visit:
And that will be all.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Ford loves dog food. seriously loves it. i have to feed the dog when he is asleep most of the time. ahhh babies and dogs, a beautiful insane combination.

Patti said...

I know. I feel like we now have another toddler around. It makes me a little twitchy.

Maria Smith said...

hi...you are indeed a yummy mummy such food...are you really all vegetarians? I would starve at yours:)))still colour wise loks very good.perhaps Helena is protesting she wants to eat meat:)))xx sweeet

Zoe said...

I'm so inspired by your 'healthy' eating! One of my girls wants to be a vegetarian - hates meat in any form. She eats a lot of cheese though. We love avocados too!!