I think Hudson is going to make a fine husband some day being positioned as he is between his two sisters. Helena seems to find him utterly without fault. She coos at him adoringly, giggles uproariously at the slightest show of attention, and will traverse the room just to be near him. Harper is, well, slightly less enthusiastic. She has gotten somewhat better, but even when she is trying very hard to be kind she says things like this little gem, which I overheard at the table night before last:
"Hudson, I need some SPACE. I do love you, but right now I need SPACE. I need this much space (she holds her arms out in front of her in a circle, as though explaining the rudiments of ballroom dance)."
and this, at breakfast:
"Hudson I am going to squish your toes. I'm going to squish them up and put them in the refrigerator. And have them for a snack. Tomorrow."
I've actually caught her squishing his toes really hard in the bathtub before. He was letting her do it, and not complaining, which I thought was interesting. I think he takes any attention from her that he can get. She finds his toes to be a source of consternation. She secretly finds them very cute, I suspect, and this is frustrating to her. She will on occasion, especially when he has his knees tucked under him and his little soles are peeking out from underneath, say something like, "Those toes ARE NOT cute! Those are NOT cute toes!" And to that I say, the lady doth protest too much.

2 comments:
Interesting to hear Harper's comments:) she seems a very bright and little bossy lady. I realy don;t know how I would have reacted hearing these comments but you are such a lovely mum...love reading your notes! Give that Hudson a little kiss from me he seems so cute too:))
XX TO all of you:)) and yes, romantic!:)) now what have you and husband have done for Valentines Day?:))
Maria, you are having a baby in a few hours!!! I try not to react to her unless she says something that is truly unkind. I was actually kind of glad that she told him that she loved him, even as she WAS telling him to give her space.
We don't really "do" Valentine's Day, with the idea being that we ought to be finding ways to be romantic all year long and not on one particular day. Not that we do a good job of that really. But that's the goal.
Post a Comment