Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Shredded

Since I haven't exercised in approximately 5 years (other than walking, which I have done less and less with each kid), and since I realized that I get winded doing things like walking from the washing machine to the bedroom (and sadly, no, there are no stairs), I decided to do something about it. I don't really like going to the gym. I am utterly unwilling to get up early enough to go walk or jog in the neighborhood before the kids wake up, as well as utterly unwilling to buy a stroller big enough to contain all of them. So, I decided to buy a DVD that I can do during naps or after everyone is in bed. I got one called "Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred". I've never really watched that show "The Biggest Loser," but Jillian Michaels is one of the trainers who helps people become Big Losers. And on the cover of the DVD she looks like she could walk from my washing machine to my bedroom approximately 8.4 million times, while carrying my washing machine AND every member of my family on her back, without getting winded. Since yesterday was February 1, which is practically the same as January 1, I resolved to begin. Each workout is only 20 minutes and I started with the easiest one. Harper joined in for most of it, slightly perturbed that I didn't have any hand weights she could use. It's a pretty basic workout and I felt pretty good when I was doing it. Though Hudson woke up from his nap when I still had 5 minutes to go, and he found my performance during the last round of abdominal exercises disturbing enough that he came over, furrowed his brow, and gently laid his head on my stomach, in need of some reassurance that I wasn't in the death throes.

Another thing I felt tremendous about yesterday is that we stayed home all day AND it was raining so we were stuck inside BUT I still got all of the sheets washed PLUS two other loads of laundry AND, aside from approximately 35 minutes of a Blue's Clues DVD (while I took a shower) the kids didn't watch any other television THE ENTIRE DAY. This is huge for me because I have gotten really bad about giving in to 30 minutes here and there all day long, with the excuse that I need some quiet or I need to get something done. After a fair amount of whining and complaining (including Harper saying to me, "When I am a mommy, I am going to let my children watch "WALL-E" every day if they want to") they actually played really well. Loudly, but well. So it was a good way to start off the week.

Then I woke up this morning and my muscles, well, they do feel shredded. Like at the mitochondrial level. So maybe the 30 Day Shred is going to be more of a 60 Day Shred so I can have a day of rest between beatings.

2 comments:

Maria Smith said...

This was so funny Patty! I keep forgetting somehow that I am 13 days away from Zac;s arrival and keep wanting to look for jobs, to do the things that I shoudn;t and reading your blog wanted to exercise. I need to send you an e-mail...so more there. I admire you so much! mxx

Patti said...

Maria--those last couple of weeks ARE so hard. I remember having so much I needed to get done, but all I wanted to do was sit on the couch with my feet up. I can't wait to hear about Zac's arrival!!