Today we were driving behind a Car With Something To Say. I think I've posted about this before, and if I were fancy, I would link to that post. Alas, not fancy. This SUV had 6 bumper stickers in all, but the only 3 I had time to read were:
EPIDEMIOLOGY SAVED MY LIFE ONCE.
I AM A TAX PAYER FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE
and
DON'T WANT TO VACCINATE YOUR CHILD? (and this one had lots of small print under this question that I think was a list of diseases--I thought I glanced 'pertussis'. The lady turned before I could finish.)
I thought it was interesting that the lady driving the Car With a Message was busily applying her make-up while driving, which, and I'm sure you could find an epidemiological study to back you up on this, is probably as dangerous as driving while intoxicated.
The husband is not really a sports guy (he likes to play but rarely to watch) but he mentioned yesterday that we might watch a little of the big football game. I was folding clothes and Harper asked a few questions to decide who she thought should win the game:
Harper: What colors are the teams, Mommy?
me: Well, Texas is orange and Alabama is crimson, which is a shade of red.
Harper: Well, I like pink. What are the animals?
me: Well, let's see. Texas has a longhorn and Alabama, let's see, what is a crimson tide exactly? I believe there's an elephant involved somehow.
Harper: Well, I like elephants. But do we KNOW anyone in Alabama?
me: Well, there's Susannah, in the song--or wait, maybe the guy singing the song came from Alabama. Yes. We should probably want Texas to win because we live in Texas.
Harper: What are the names of all of the football players?
me: Well...um, there's one named Colt McCoy. Colt, like a baby horse.
Harper: Is he on the orange team?
me: Yes, he is the quarterback.
Harper: (politely changing the subject, as this one has grown tiresome) I'm going to play with Play-doh now.
The husband fell asleep about 20 minutes in and I stayed up and watched the whole thing. I ended up pulling for Texas because I just felt bad for them, even though I discovered that the Alabama quarterback went to the high school where I taught for two years right after I finished college.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
edie brickell and the new bohemians.....hadn't heard them in awhile. So, what are you contemplating? Don't leave us hanging! :)
for some reason, the first time I looked at this, just the title appeared. So, sorry for the first comment that appears to make zero sense at this time. :)
Sorry Kristin! I pushed 'enter' after I typed the title, which caused the Post of Nothing But Title. I knew exactly what you were talking about! I miss Edie B.
I like the way Harper thinks. That's about the way I choose teams to support, when I'm forced into a position of choosing.
It also happens to be the way I choose cars: the color is always a determining factor for me--not so much for my husband, oddly enough. He actually thinks about things like engines and gas mileage. :)
Post a Comment