Wednesday, December 9, 2009

sleep in heavenly peace

I was out doing a little shopping tonight while the husband got the kids bathed and in bed and I sprinted into a furniture store in between the shoe store, where I returned some boots that I decided I don't have use for, and Lakeshore Learning, where I was buying some squishy blocks for Helena. I startled the five salespeople who were standing around. I made eye contact with one, explaining that I just wanted a quick moment on a mattress. See, the husband and I sleep on a queen size mattress that I bought in 2001 for around $200. We've been talking about investing in a good mattress since we got married (it's been 6 years this week since our first date. I might tell that story tomorrow) because neither of us sleeps very well. And I actually wake up in pain fairly often. The siren song of Tempurpedic has been luring us for a couple of years now, but I'm just not sure we can justify spending that much money on something to sleep on. I asked the salesperson which was the cheapest and plopped down. I did NOT want to get back up. It felt like a warm embrace of mattress. Feel free to talk me down from my infatuation if you have advice.

4 comments:

Maria Smith said...

Hi Patti! NOt sure of the brand you tried we have TEMPURA and its fabulous it does kind a go after a while so don;t fall for the sales. We have had it for 4 years and one side (the heabvy side is a little bit squashed and its been like that since I had Reuben) still its amazingly different. I also bought into the pillows that are sold from the same company...its amazing what support they can provide for the head and neck. I strongly recommend that everyoe should have good beds and good pillows we do spend a lot of our life time in bed when you think about it. Also, a good night sleep does not compare to anything else when you have three kids to entertain and cope with the next day! Good luck I hope you will invest its worth it I do know that much! Mxx

Jamie said...

Definitely get a new mattress! Right before Jude was born, we upgraded from my cheap double mattress that I bought before we were married to a pillowtop queen. It made a huge difference and my only regret is not going for the king.

Chrys and Mike said...

i can't talk you down b/c a tempurpedic is the best ever. :) that was our wedding gift to ourselves and we have never regretted it. i LOVE our bed. it is nearly six years old and still in perfect condition.

i have seen good deals of them on craigslist (new) and also have some friends that bought one at the dump. not sure if there's one in your area.

sorry i can't discourage you. :)
chrys

Margie said...

I've been meaning to comment on this: There comes a time in life when comfort tops vanity and expense. Shoes come to mind: In younger days, I could wear the most painful, blister-inducing shoes and still have a smile on my face if I thought they were cute. No More. Clunky SAS's aren't so far in my future if they truly feel as good as the grandmothers swore they did.

And I think a mattress might fit in this category. It's not sexy and you can't show it off, but if it's worth a good night's sleep, which - these days - is worth almost everything, then you might have to take the leap.

I won't talk you out of this one.