Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Holly and the Ivy

The little kids sang this carol at church today and it was really sweet. I especially liked the motions that went along with "the running of the deer."

The rest of this post will have nothing to do with the title.

I did a little math all by myself today because I couldn't find the calculator (the apocalyptic scenario that your math teacher always warned you about). Houston has a new mayor and only around 160,000 people voted in the election. That's about 6% of the 2.2 million people who live here. The winner of the election got 53% of those 160,000 votes, which means the lady newly in charge of running the city got there even though just 3.6% of Houstonians bothered to vote for her. That should be national news, don't you think? But that's not the detail of this election that got the coverage.

We got our sweet neighbor to come over and take a family picture of us today with the hope that I might actually get a decent one that I could put on some sort of Christmas card that I might actually send out at some point. I look tired and pale and generally grotesque in every single shot. Hudson has a runny nose. Harper chose pink sparkly shoes that in no way matched her red tights. Helena insisted on eating her shoes. Maybe we'll try again, or maybe we won't. I actually kind of like the picture I took of our porch swing about 10 minutes before the photo shoot commenced. I was trying to see if there was going to be enough light for my point and shoot camera to focus without a flash. I think the shadow of the lattice is kind of pretty. Inanimate objects are so much more cooperative. Of course the sun had disappeared by the time we got everyone situated. Here's one the husband took after the family shoot fell apart. Hudson was busy smashing up a big pile of leaves with a long stick. Because that is what little boys do.

4 comments:

Margie said...

I love the latticework shadow! It's really beautiful with the swing.

I'm not Doing Christmas cards this year because I'm simply not up for the work of finding one or two good pictures of the girls. I work all year at it, and can't get The One. So, I'm simply jotting notes to friends who send me cards to say thanks and that we're doing well. No pictures needed.

Jamie said...

No calculator and having to do the math in your head...you know you always hear stories about that but when it hits so close to home, it really shakes you up. Hope it never happens to me.

so 3.6% huh? impressive. i suppose you'll save the details (well, really just detail) that are (is) getting coverage for another post?

Patti said...

I like that idea, Margie.

There were even DECIMALS involved, Jamie. AND long division.

Lisa said...

"Generally grotesque...?" Hard to imagine, Friend.