I just heard this conversation as I was nursing Helena before putting her down for the night (the husband is teaching a late class and is not here which makes the evening routine Almost Unbearable):
Harper: Hudson, go play with your cars! I need some TIME by MYSELF.
Hudson: (plaintive, pitiful) But I want to be with YOU.
Harper: (highly unpleasant snorty sound) HUDSON, NO. I need some quiet time by myself.
Hudson: (sad pitiful whimpering noises)
So, where in the world did she hear something like that? From me, that's where. Today during the after lunch time which used to be her nap time and is now her quiet time. She really wanted a little reading time (we've just started a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons) before she had her quiet time but I just couldn't do it. It was an exhausting morning of failed potty training (at the park, so, totally my fault) with the Hudson boy and I was spent. I told her I just needed a little time to myself and I sent her off to her room. It had its intended effect, obviously. Maybe you'll think it's interesting that I have not been by myself for four and a half years now. I have been away from Harper twice--the 36 hours I was in the hospital having Hudson and the 36 hours I was in the hospital having Helena (which is the only time I have been away from Hudson). I do, once a week or so, when the kids are napping or in bed, and the husband is home, go to Target or the grocery store by myself. Occasionally, my mom will come in town so the husband and I can have a date. Every month or so I have a meal with the girls from my Bible study. I enjoy these times, perhaps too much. Depending on which book you read, the husband and I should be having some weekends away, just the two of us. But since I am still breastfeeding, this just seems like lots of work. At some point there will be time for this. And the time is not now. But I don't always do a good job of remembering how fast these Times of Great Dependence are going to pass. I try to remember to be daily thankful for my healthy children, whose needs pale in comparison to some. I try to remember how quiet were so many of my days and weeks and years when I wondered if I would ever be married; when children seemed like a hopeless dream. And yet I still lose my patience. Daily. I struggle with taking the easy way out (read: hours of tv or dvd's while I Get SOMETHING DONE). I am irate. I am fast to frustration and slow to grace. I focus on why things are HARD instead of being a creative problem solver. Instead of taking the time to teach, I take over and do it myself. And they are watching. And they ARE learning. My performance, it should be said, needs work. I am thankful in advance for those mercies, which, we are promised, are new every morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Yes, you'll get your time. I'm just now finding a few fleeting moments of my time every afternoon while all the kids are in school. But, I look back on days like you have and miss them tremendously. And, I'm toying w/ the idea of going back to teaching full time next year so that my time is about to be fleeting, I'm afraid. (Those student loans are EXPENSIVE...and so are teenagers!)
Don't put too much mommy guilt on yourself. If that's the only thing you say that Harper, Hudson or Helena repeat, you'll be doing good, friend! : )
Get some wine and relax tonight.
Love you, Carrie
My dear Patti Patti Patti! I read with geart interest this post...it is not unusual infact shall I say I think its only normal to feel like "me time" a little of the times sometimes. (how about that for English?) Look on the bright side...what your dughter is exercising with your son is really good. It means sometimes everyone needs ME time. Even she might not understand or he might be thrown by it I am sure its good to introduce a little "me" time and even this early. what if that worked for you all! What if every day you had 10 minutes peace and quite. I have a friend who has amazing activities with her kids to be honest just listening to her I get exhasuted. She has her coffee in her kitchen every day while the 2-3 year olds are playing happily knowing mummy is "re enegrgising" she takes actually half hour and loves every second of it. She also told me the kids got that now where they ask for tea and cake and read tehir books at the ktchen table (blissfully sometimes unaware that they been doing that for over 1 hour) I salute that. What she is doing she is teaching kids its ok to do something like that....it ok to be like the grown ups and its not tragic and by the sound of it its good enough and fun. Enjoy this process and do not neglect your own needs too. yes, we have these times for a very short period but equally it is not all about having the kids on our laps and cuddle all day its about teaching them to be independent and ok with their own company too...
As for husband and me time...everyone tried making me guilty for not doing the weekend away on my own, with husband, away from R but we are so BOOORING (literally) that we just wouldnt enjoy it. I like the evenings when R eventually is asleep...we can have adult and nice conversations in our own living room wearing exactly what we want and munching what we want even watching what we want on tv or just reading a magazine! there is tremendous preassure from outside just CLOSE THE DOOR AND HOLD WHATS YOURS DEARLY....enjoy and laugh the best medication.
Sorry for the long note! LOVE YA!
Mxx
i had these same thoughts earlier today only they weren't nearly as eloquent as your words. they never are. but i understand completely. for the most part i did a really poor job of parenting my kiddos today. i raised my voice many times. i was annoyed. i was impatient. i was weary. i don't want to be like that! i know better. but i have been exasperated, sleep deprived and exhausted. not an excuse, just the facts. and i can't do it in my own strength. these are the days i have looked forward to for my entire life. i want to enjoy every moment. i know that's not realistic but, wow, i want to lick the bowl clean. these days are fleeting.
chrys
Let me just say "thank you" for this post. I needed to hear it. :)
I read this a while back, and wanted to offer a comment that was pithy, but also sympathetic. But I've struggled b/c you spotlighted the weaknesses I'm struggling with. I want/need/crave time to myself, but am not getting it. I feel buried, overwhelmed, and am not as supportive, encouraging, or at all as patient as I should be. And then they treat each other the way I treat them.
I've come across two blogs in which families are juggling extreme special needs (your link was one), and I've drawn on their stories to place perspective on my own day-to-day. This morning I began writing a plan to do better, and I've decided to start my day praying for each family member individually. And I hope to wean the kids off the dvd's I, too, have fallen back on just to get through the days.
FYI, Wayne and I had that Lamentations verse read in our wedding about the Lord's mercies being new every morning. Perhaps I should open my prayer time with that.
Thanks for this timely post.
I read this a long time ago, but apparently I never commented. Reading while breastfeeding doesn't lend itself to long comments, does it?
In any case, I'm very glad that I happened upon it again today, because I needed to read this. I can relate completely to it, and I appreciate the way you stated the situation as well as the remedy of leaning daily on God's mercy. Well said!
Post a Comment