Thursday, November 12, 2009

make yourself (a little too) comfortable

This is us yesterday:
And us today (at the zoo):

A miraculous turnaround. We had a grand time at Dewberry Farm last Friday, but Hudson apparently acquired a stomach virus along with his many wonderful farm memories. As stomach viruses go it was very manageable (fever, headache, just one vomit episode). He generously shared with his big sister (exact re-enactment, including just the one vomit episode). Thankfully, the rest of us have been spared thus far.

On the way home from the zoo, where we tried to keep to ourselves as much as possible, just in case we're shedding Virus, I heard Hudson say something about a bus driver:

Me: "You SEE a bus driver?"
Hudson: "No ma'am, mumblemumblemumble busdriver!"
Me:"You want to BE a bus driver?"
Pause. "Yes, ma'am."
Harper: "Hudson!"
Hudson: "Yes ma'am" (this cracks me up every time when he calls her 'ma'am')
Harper: "Hudson, you CAN be a bus driver. I don't know yet what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe a ballerina. Boys can't actually BE ballerinas, so you can't be a ballerina too. Well, boys CAN do ballet, but they do NOT wear dresses, they wear black pants, tight pants and a t-shirt."
Hudson: "I want to HEAR bus driver."

I finally realized that he hadn't meant to discuss his career aspirations, though he didn't seem to mind. He wanted to hear the song "Bus Driver" which is on the husband's ipod that happened to be in the car. So, we listened to "Bus Driver." It's an old Derek Webb song and it seems kind of sad the first few times you listen to it, but it's really kind of the antidote to a really sad song like "Eleanor Rigby." Man, that Father McKenzie darning his socks in the night--gets me every time.

A few days ago we were at the park with our neighbors and Harper invited them to come over to our house after. She said, "We'll walk in, take off our shoes, take off our pants, wash our hands, then we can PLAY." If you have ever needed an explanation for why the kids are pantsless in so many of my pictures, there you have it.

4 comments:

Robin said...

"take off our pants" <--that has to be the funniest thing I've read all day.

Patti said...

It really WAS so funny. I had to assure our neighbor Frank's mother that the adults at our house do generally wear our pants, whether company is coming or not.

Maria Smith said...

This is very funny indeed but why do they take pants off?! Do they mean trousers right?! I can imagine this being said very seriously by yours to some of my chavy neighbours they would happily oblige!
Mxx

Patti said...

Yes, trousers! to Maria and my myriad other British readers (hi Yvonne!) Thankfully, the UNDERpants do stay on most of the time.