Friday, October 30, 2009

our love is loud

We've had a week of out-and-abouting so I decided we should stay in today. I cleaned the bathtub, the mirrors and one sink, AND did two loads of laundry. I wish I could say that while I got all of this cleaning done the kids were engaged in meaningful acts of service themselves. Or maybe drilling one another on Latin roots. Nope. Helena napped, and Harper and Hudson watched part of "Cars", an episode of "Max and Ruby", and most of "Word World" before I finally said Enough! and turned off the television. We did some glitter, (The key to maintaining my sanity is to use tiny bottles of glue that are only about half full. When the glue is gone, we are finished for the day. It takes around 30 stressful minutes) then I needed to finish scrubbing the tub. Helena was clacking her stacking cups together, Harper was typing on the computer, and Hudson was playing with his cars. Then it happened. I was up to my elbows in Comet and suddenly the soundtrack to Armaggedon (the event, not the movie) began. Hudson had decided he would like a little music so he had turned on the radio, which was set to the classical station, and he accidentally had the volume on max. I think it was Wagner. It took me about 5 seconds to bolt in there and turn it down at which point they were all three wailing in fear and, possibly, pain. I tried to hug all three of them without using my Comet-covered hands. It took about 10 minutes for everyone to stop weeping. Hudson needed his blanket, his thumb, two stuffed dogs, a pillow, and 15 minutes curled up on the couch to recover. I think he will not do that again soon.

3 comments:

Davene said...

If I was one for using cute little abbreviations (which I'm not), I would have to write LOL. Because I really did laugh out loud. And still am. I am not, however, ROFL (or is it ROTFL?). My floor is too dirty for that.

You can tell Hudson that Wagner does that to me, too. I have a degree in music, for pete's sake, so I'm supposed to like the stuff...but there isn't much that Wagner wrote that I would choose to listen to--even at normal decibels.

Did your bathtub ever finish getting cleaned?

Patti said...

Oh, Davene. The bathtub is, hopefully, clean enough. It, like the kitchen sink, is original to the house and, therefore, 55 years old, and will never LOOK clean again.

Margie said...

Oh, oh, oh. The scene. I do hope they've recovered and haven't developed an aversion to all things classical. Which would be a pity before Christmas, knowing how much you enjoy JINGLE BELL ROCK and GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER, those virtual holiday mantras.