Thursday, August 13, 2009

splendor in the grass


Last Thursday I attempted a little photo shoot because Grandmother Pate's birthday was this weekend and Harper and Hudson had made a frame. My friend Carrie (who often leaves sweet and insightful comments here, under her nom de plume 'Ken') and I once joked that while our husbands were in school (which, it should be noted, was approximately 572 years between the two of them) our parents pretty much knew that each and every birthday, Christmas, Mothers' and Fathers' Day meant a photograph of the kids in a home-made frame. My mom still claims that there is No Better Gift. The last time we attempted a studio shot was six months ago and I'm pretty sure every single employee and shopper unfortunate enough to be in or around Memorial City Mall that day is stilll wondering about the poor child who was apparently tortured for 30 minutes in the back studio of The Picture People. The Hudson boy, for all of his easygoing sweetness, is Emphatically Against having his image captured for posterity. So, thinking that surely I was less sinister than the noisy Picture People guy, I got everyone out of their pj's and marched them out into the backyard and placed them just so under the bougainvillea. See for yourself what a huge success it was.
And the winner, chosen because I giggled every time I looked at furrowed-browed Helena reaching out to comfort the weeping brother, which had just the opposite effect, much to Harper's dismay:

10 comments:

Jamie said...

My birthday is in Novemeber and I would like picture #1 in a 5x7 please!

I think you will be very pleased in years to come that you captured a real moment and not a cheesy fake pose. The Grandparents Pate will be thrilled with their gift!

Maria Smith said...

I tell you Patti! This was the funniest thing I have seen all day! I love the facial experessions....I can tell your older daughter is a character and has the confidence while Hudson wants to do what he wants to do and not what mummy tells him to do...and baby is priceless...Helen is thinking...what is this?! Why are we all out here?! It is the bestest ever post I have read and the pictures speak for themselves! Love the fact that they are original and not the cheesy ones....like Jamie said!:)) Well done mummy! Just make sure in years time you will have the the picture to make kids blush!
MXX

Robin said...

Love these! Seriously. Helena's expression in the first and last one are priceless.

I understand how hard it is taking pictures of kids. That's why I take so many pictures in the hopes of getting a few good ones.

You didn't ask for advice, but I seem to not be able to stop giving out tips on taking pictures. One thing you could try next time is to just take individual pictures of each kid instead of a group shot. Just a thought.

Shelley said...

Oh Patti, your blog makes me laugh! You should publish a book because I never get tired of reading what you write.

Love the pictures of your cute kiddos! Their expressions are way better than 3 perfectly smiling children.

Tell your mom Happy Birthday from me. I think my mom was going to take her to lunch.

Patti said...

Hello Shelley!! Yes, I believe Mexican food was on the agenda for this week. I heard that Mallory is now on the Red Team which I'm assuming has something to do with her swimming prowess and not her Communist leanings. Yea Mallory!

I forgot to mention that while Hudson was somewhat unhappy throughout the photo session, the real tears began when I had him take off his shoes. He finds this terribly upsetting. But I figure in 40 years I'd much rather be able to see those sweet little toes than his camoflage crocs.

And Robin, you feel free to fling any and all photography advice in this direction. I thought of the three individual pictures after we'd already spent the morning putting fingerpaint handprints all over a mat with a single 5x7 opening. Next time we'll for sure get a mat with three separate windows.

Shelley said...

Mallory actually made it to the Platinum team, so no worries on her political views.

Margie said...

I can NOT get photos of the girls together. One or the other is frowning/blinking/looking away/just not happy. So I feel your pain! Got a good laugh, too. I sort of want to comfort Hudson like good sister Helena is doing - he seems so terribly sad. (Although I'm sure he was Fine after the camera went away.)

Ken said...

Cannot tell you have many pics I've taken like this just for 1 good one to use as a gift for grandparents. I LOVE the last one. Talk about capturing the moment, huh?!?
Hope you're enjoying your new place. The school year is about to get started again and we haven't moved yet. I'll keep you posted.
CY

Lisa said...

Oh, Patti, this is just too funny! Love the winner. I keep going back to it and laughing too!

bethany said...

Well, I'm trying to catch up -- man, there's some good stuff on these pages. If I haven't told you lately, you're such a fantastic writer. Thanks for the laughter and inspiration. and of course, the pictures.