Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pregnant pause

The funny thing about the last few weeks of pregnancy is that there's obvious anticipation and impatience waiting to finally meet the little person and to not feel so, what's the right word? inhabited? but there's also the realization that things are as easy as they are going to be for a long while and I should really just enjoy it. The husband has been getting up with Hudson in the mornings for a while now and it is so wonderful to be able to take my time getting my creaky bones out of bed. The husband is much better with mornings than I am, generally. He's peppy and alert and purposeful.

No segue. Too tired. Topic #2: Finding clothes for my kids is an ongoing frustration. I have these rules. I like things that are soft and stretchy because it just makes playing so much more comfortable. I want the soft and stretchy clothes to be inexpensive, but I also want to be able to wash them more than 4 times before they start to look faded and yucky. I do not like characters, or words, or emblems, or garish prints on these soft, stretchy clothes. This, it turns out, is the most challenging rule. The gods of kid's clothing design apparently have mandated that All Clothes For Children Must Be Emblazoned With Something. A princess, a dump truck, a clever turn of phrase, free advertising...and, on the topic of advertising, I find it appalling that so many clothes for little girls are just miniature versions of tarty looking teen designs. Every time I complain the husband calmly says I should do something about it. Except I can't sew. Or draw a pattern. Nor do I have an ounce of entrepreneurial spirit in my weary, whiny bones. Last week I went to go buy a couple of new things for the baby with some Christmas money and there's a brand I love called Kissy Kissy--it meets all of my qualifications except that it's bordering on obscenely expensive in my frugal world. Even on sale. I bought two things anyway. Frivolity has its place perhaps. And I'll find someone to give them to when she outgrows them in approximately five minutes. Almost the entireity of Hudson's wardrobe for the past year was given to us by our good friend Joseph, who is Harper's age. I do love recycled clothes. Especially when they abide by the rules. I think I shall go take a nap now.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I understand the rules. I LOVE the rules. I attempt to follow the rules. Just wait till Harper is 11! It only gets harder with age. Plus, you're dealing with modesty issues as well. Maybe we should start our own clothing line, if we could get some of that entrepreneurial spirit! NEVER GIVE UP!

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patti said...

Hi Kristin! I know--I'm already dreading the day that Harper has an actual opinion about it.

Jo said...

Don't worry about the future, Patti. I'm planning on making Harper plenty of denim jumpers!

Patti said...

Mrs. B back in the comments!! Hooray! She's the one who usually has to hear my rants in person before they end up in the blog.

Margie said...

Lauren Winner made the observation that the expensive clothes are the demure, appropriately pretty little girl clothes. The cheap stuff is tawdry and oversexualized. My best bet has been the Just Between Friends sale that has a huge selection really nice clothes (good brands, non-streetwalker look) at great prices. There's probably one in Houston. (Or you can count on Joanna to keep you supplied! What a great offer!)