Friday, November 7, 2008

Who ARE you people??

A few mornings ago I had just asked Harper to clean up the impressive array of toys and activities she'd managed to strew throughout the entire apartment. Instead of heeding my request she walked over to the front door, paused, turned around and said, "I'm just coming back from a walk. I don't know you." And then, rather imperiously, "You need to clean up your house!" I joined her in her little charade and speculated that she must be the little girl, whom I'd never seen before, of course, whom I had hired to come and clean up my house. "No," she replied vaguely, "I am not that little girl." Then the familial amnesia continued today when she composed a charming ditty on her keyboard that went a little something like this:

"Hudson is not my brudder. I do not know him. I do not love him.."
The melody was rather bouncy and light so that Hudson, who was sitting next to her on the couch at the time, was actually chortling with glee, probably thinking it was a love song. Harper and I spent several minutes post-prayer, pre-sleep tonight discussing how she might make tomorrow's lyrics a little more edifying. We'll see how that goes. Speaking of unedifying lyrics, when I'm too lazy to put in a cd while we're driving we will listen to the Christian radio station. It's not all cringe-inducing (and some of it is good) but I heard a song sometime last week that actually had "steeple-people" as a recurring rhyme theme. I am incredulous that someone went through an actual song writing Process and that's all they could come up with. Let's be better than that, shall we? If this is your favorite song, or if, as I'm sure is the case, the songwriter himself is a reader of this enormously popular blog, I kind of apologize. I've been reading New Yorker articles to branch out, and boy howdy, are they a smug and bitter bunch up there in the big city. I actually winced while reading a satire piece a few days ago. I felt bludgeoned.

How about a picture instead? The new help finally decided she wasn't above a little swiffering:

2 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

oh, i can't wait to meet you someday. you always make me laugh so hard.

chrys

Margie said...

Patti, this is an absolutely HILARIOUS post. The corresponding picture at the end wrapped it up beautifully.

Hope you're feeling well, and by now you're surely nearly ready for girl #2. If you were closer, I'd be tossing you some fairly decent hand-me-downs. Even though I know you're about to enter the Next Mindless, Sleepless Time, it's still wonderful, and I'm so glad for your third. It's a rich time in life with those sweet, squishy, little babies.