Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm Darrell. And this is my other brother Darrell.

Does anyone remember that? It was on the Bob Newhart show a very long time ago. While all of you cool kids were watching "Dukes of Hazzard" I was apparently soaking in the gentle humor and quirky inhabitants of a Vermont bed and breakfast. Anyway, Harper has decided that the new baby should be named Harper Anne. I explained to her that we really like this name. That, in fact, we like it so very much that we gave it to her when she was born. At first she didn't really see why she and the baby couldn't share the name, then she conceded that it might get a tad confusing. Her solution? She will give 'Harper Anne' to the baby and she herself will take on a new name. And that name will be LIGHTNING. Lightning has also decided that she is going to be a mother. My mom had picked her up and commented that she felt heavier than last time. "It's because I have a puppy in my tummy," she replied casually. "And in a little while he is going to POP right out." She also shared her happy news with a complete stranger a few minutes later as we petted his little dog, whom, I think it's safe to assume, did not pop out of the tummy of a 3 year old named Lightning.

The kids and I have been at my parents' house for a week and it was so relaxing right up until a stomach virus set its course through, in order: my dad, my mom, Hudson, and me. The virulent little bug had already wreaked its havoc on my brother and his entire family the week before. Lightning remains unscathed. Here's a duck that really looks more like a penguin that she drew on the patio while she was waiting patiently for everyone to stop throwing up:
I tried to convince her that it was really more of a penguin but she was adamant that it was a duck. Yes, she is wearing mismatched pj's. Yes, she wore them for the entire day. No, I do not know how to interpret the hieroglyphic just under the penguinduck's beak.

It's funny because I really thought I wasn't going to get the virus. Because I had been fine all week. Then around 4 hours before the husband was due to show up and take me to my 20 year high school reunion, I had that little funny feeling of imminent reverse peristalsis. Not one to let a little vomit stand in my way of a fantastic party, we still went. My sweet friend Shelley, who has been my sweet friend since we were around 4, sat next to me most of the night to keep me company, even though her husband Mitchell treated me as though I had active TB. He kept the husband well entertained at a safe distance. The husband kept himself entertained by telling everyone within earshot that he was 12 when we graduated. He also told at least one person that we had met when I had been his babysitter. Every time I stood up for more than a few seconds I'd feel the need to swoon, but it was still a really good time. Even if I do go down as the Typhoid Mary of the PN-G Class of 1988 Reunion, it was so worth it. Here we are. You'll notice I'm a little peaked around the eyes. You'll also notice that I'm a little more pregnant. Almost 7 months worth.

9 comments:

Ken said...

So glad you made it to the reunion. I'm relieved that I didn't pressure myself to go and sad seeing all the faces I missed seeing. We had so much going on last weekend....the first of which was to see High School Muscial 3 on opening day. Carrigan and all the boys love this series of movies. Not the best acting, the dancing is great though, but it's far better than Grease! : )
Sorry you got the bug. Ken and I had it while mom and dad were with us during evacuation. I landed in the hospital needing fluids. Mom got it the next week. It's a nasty, nasty bug!
Ken defends this Thurs. His chairperson sent me an email asking if I was going to be present for the title change. I think it's safe to say he's going to pass. : ) Still no word on any job leads other than the scheduled interview at Lamar. Tell Seymour to check out Mclennan Community College for possible job leads. Ken's applied there and it hoping for an interview soon. We hear they pay pretty good, have great benefits including insurance for employee and half for spouse/children, and great retirement package. My kind of place!!! I'll keep you posted.
You look great in the pics, btw!
Carrie

Chrys and Mike said...

loved this post. read the first three paragraphs aloud to my husband. she's a hoot!

chrys

Shelley said...

You will be happy to know my family was unscathed by the virus. Is "Lightning" still well?I enjoyed seeing you and your family this weekend. Your kids are precious. I am also glad our misbehaving husbands could hang out during the reunion. We would love to see you the next time you are in the DFW area, or perhaps our paths will cross again in Port Neches.

Patti said...

Good grief, Carrie--I'm glad to have escaped with no IV! Tomorrow is the Big Day. Congratulations to Doctor Young.

Chrys--do you think Oliver would change his name to Mater?

Shelley--I just talked to my mom today and asked her with great apprehension whether or not she'd heard from your mom about your family's wellness. I'm greatly relieved. Harper and Hudson SO enjoyed the girls and Princess--Mallory and Morgan just couldn't have been sweeter to Harper.

Ken said...

It's official!! We have a Dr. in the house! Of course, it's a PhD, but it's a Dr., nonetheless. : )

We're excited and exhausted. Wanted to share the good news.
Carrie

seymour said...

CONGRATULATIONS DOCTOR! A doctor of philosophy outranks a doctor of jurisprudence, every time. Patti won't call you Dr. unless you are an M.D., but I will!

Margie said...

Loved Bob Newhart and will never be able think of anything but the name Lightning from now on. I, too, caught the bug a while back, much worse than either of the one-vomit-and-we're-done-little-tykes, and asked Mom to come and help. She did, and was fine for a couple of days afterward...

Even though we have lots of pj's here, many of ours manage, inexplicably, to get mismatched. It's as much a mystery as losing socks.

Margie said...

I also meant to say this: Wow, it's hard to believe you're seven months along already. I would swear I just learned last week you were pregnant.

Kyle, Mel, and Samuel, and Noah said...

I thought I was the only person that ever watched the Bob Newhart show! You are an adorable pregnant mommy!