Monday, July 14, 2008

The Wait of Glory

What do you suppose she's doing in there? he asks himself. We went to Galveston for the day yesterday. It's something we should probably do more often, considering the proximity. I think we've been four times in the almost four years we've lived here. Harper had a fantastic time, as did Hudson unless you tried to get him close to the water, at which point he would break into a high pitched shriek/wail which made everyone in a 1 mile radius stop what they were doing and look at me as if to say, "It's very sad that you should torture him thus." I had an idea that the ocean might be mildly disturbing to him because, while he really enjoys baths, he hasn't found any other water experiences particularly pleasant. What he did find particularly pleasant was the tiny little bites of sand he kept sneaking. He had tried, and enjoyed, cous cous for the first time the night before and I'm pretty sure he thought he was sitting on a giant beach of cous cous.
The husband had a great time out in the water with Harper right up until the moment when, about two hours in, he realized that the perfunctory dab of sunblock he'd slapped on his shoulders was sadly, tragically insufficient. His back is red beyond telling--scarlet? crimson? Nope, beyond describing. And the tops of his feet. And he had to put on a suit for court today. Last weekend, during a rousing game of hide and seek, he sustained a pulled muscle while trying to hide in a cedar chest that, lean though he is, clearly was NOT going to contain him (which I politely mentioned during the attempt). The myriad (at times painful) sacrifices of parenthood.

I am not sunburned because I sat under a beach umbrella approximately the entire time and when I did venture out I had on an enormous hat, huge sunglasses and SPF 45. I remember laughing at the likes of me when I was 16 and coating myself in olive oil to speed up the "tanning" process.

The public beach is great for people watching and I believe my favorite subject was the girl (19 maybe) who was around 8 months pregnant and wearing a tiny bikini with the "Corona" logo emblazoned across the bottoms. Classy. Do you think she found it at Pea in the Pod?

Harper asked me what "glory" means the other night after she prayed. Um, well, it's...all I could think of were other abstract, multi-syllabic words that she doesn't know yet, so I told her I would think about it and come up with a good definition. Anyone?

This morning REM did a little guest spot on Sesame Street. Even singing "furry, happy monsters feeling glad!" and bouncing around there is just something so aching and melancholy about Michael Stipe. Maybe I'm projecting because when I first listened to REM in college (and saw them in concert--they actually came to A&M which is somewhat mystifying to me still) I was myself in a rather aching and melancholy place. Norah Jones was on a few weeks ago and sang "I don't know why 'Y' didn't come" about the letter of the day. Clever.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Glory is a tough one...let me know what you come up with :)

Also, need your new address when you get a chance-thanks!!

seymour said...

As a launching point, here is a short evangelical dictionary review. All instances are taken from examples using the word in a particular scriptural context.

Glory: Natural Objects: May refer to brightness of heavenly bodies, fruitfulness of a forest, awesomeness of a horse's snorting or the ornateness of expensive clothing.
Humans: may refer to position, possessions, strength or length of life; Also, glory is the possession of the industrious, ideal wife.
God: the external manifestation of his being. However, it should be noted that it is properly said of God that his glory is fundamentally independent of its external manifestation.


It would be my suggestion to use a Surefire Flashlight and to begin with the term used in the context of natural objects to direct the child's mind to light emanation. Once accomplished, the child's mind can link analogical precepts to other concepts. I don't think you can wrong with blinding light though. Thus a surefire would be the proper starting point.

Patti said...

What Seymour might be forgetting is that his daughter's favorite thing to do with the Surefire is to shine the glory right into her brother's eyes.

Chrys and Mike said...

i used to practically bathe in crisco to get a "tan". ridiculous.

love the ss stuff. have you seen feist singing "1234"? prepare to have it permanently stuck in your brain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fciD_II7NI&eurl=http://www.goodyblog.com/playing_house/2008/07/feists-1-2-3-4.html

chrys

Jamie said...

What a great question! I think Seymour's idea of associating glory with blinding (or unapproachable light) is a great starting point. I believe that another good direction to go would be that of the concept of goodness or greatness. Just as in Psalm 19:1, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above* proclaims his handiwork”, we are given glimpses of His glory (greatness or goodness) through His creation. And again in Psalm 97:6 “The heavens declare His righteousness, and all the people see His glory.”
Another word that might prove useful is treasure. It might be helpful to express God’s infinite worth through His abundant provision.
“And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19
“For every beast of the forest is mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know all the birds of the hills,
and all that moves in the field is mine.
If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
for the world and its fullness are mine.
Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats?
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,[fn2]
and perform your vows to the Most High,
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
Psalm 50:10-15
Glory:
(Heb. kabhod; Gr. doxa). (1.) Abundance, wealth, treasure, and hence honour (Psa 49:12); glory (Gen 31:1; Mat 4:8; Rev 21:24,26).
Splendour, brightness, majesty (Gen 45:13; Isa 4:5; Act 22:11; 2Cr 3:7); of Jehovah (Isa 59:19; 60:1; 2Th 1:9).

Kris

seymour said...

Okay. The Feist song has been in my head everyday since we watched that youtube video.

Thanks a lot.

Chrys and Mike said...

okay, so i can't comment on the above post so i'm commenting here.

very excited about the kingsolver book! thanks for the review. i saw it at the bookstore recently and was tempted. but i just requested it from the library, which is free. and doesn't take up space on our already overflowing bookshelves.

your hunch was right--degree was in interdisciplinary studies w/ minors in reading and social studies. i taught six years of elementary before moving up to jr. high w/ my students. :)

but of all people in the world?? YOU are the most equipped to teach your children. be excited about that!

i'm thrilled to know you're planning to home school! love it!

chrys