I had an idea once back in the day when I had lots of time and fairly discretionary income that I might take a few months off and outfit some sort of vehicle (a la Mr. Steinbeck in the aforementioned Travels with Charley) in which I'd travel across the country taking photos of the stuff churches put on their signs out front. Then the plan was to go inside the church and ask the first person I met a simple question. Something along the lines of, "Can you tell me why I should believe in Jesus?" My hope was that the person would actually give me a real answer from personal experience and not try to usher me into the pastor's office. I remembered my little plan as I was driving out of Port Arthur and spotted a sign that was rather shocking. My guess would be that whoever was in charge of Clever Sign Messages at this little church actually had no idea that there was a double entendre worthy of 1970's era Richard Pryor embedded in what they probably thought was just a funny little saying. I just can't write it here on this family friendly blog but instead I'll give you one from my parents' church a few months back:
BE YE FISHERS OF MEN....
You catch 'em, He'll clean 'em!

6 comments:
ha! my bf lives in your city and just told me about that sign last week. i'm guessing it's the same church. if not, there's a copycat close by.
chrys
p.s. we had a widdle wizard tragedy in our backyard this morning. i was impressed with the little guy's immense patience with my loud, anything-but-gentle boys. then i realized he needed to move on to the compost pile.
chrys
The pic w/ Hudson and Mr. John is ADORABLE! So tender and gentle.
I love going to see my folks as well. I like that when I'm there, I only have to parent, but they take care of feeding us and entertaining us. For a few days, it's not all up to me to keep my kids active. I can actually take somewhat of a break and rest!
Off to Disney next week. Travelling w/ the parents....should bring back lots of memories. Let's hope they're good one.
-Carrie
PS Korban has a friend over who knows how to tumble. Korban is so impressed. Remember cool it was when a boy could tumble? And a cute one at that? : )
Chrys-- I wonder if it IS the same sign? My husband googled it and apparently a few other churches across the country have partaken as well, to the dismay of offended citizens. Small town weirdness.
We found a probable sibling of our widdle wizard smashed in the door leading out to the deck. My mom did away with the sad remnants before Harper saw them.
Carrie--oh, yes. The free and bountiful food, entertainment, (and laundry!) that my mom provides--it is wonderful beyond telling. My dad is so incredibly sweet and patient with all the grandkids and they love him with abandon.
Have a great time at Disney!
Boys who could tumble did hold great appeal--there was a lad named Johnson Adams at the June Badon gym whom I admired tremendously when I was around 10. He could do a double back, if I remember correctly.
jealousy.
I love the look of wonder and amazement in her face in the first picture.
Post a Comment