Tuesday, July 29, 2008

magical realism

I just started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude with the book club girls. Mr. Marquez utilized something called magical realism, which translates into everything sort of going along normally and then, for example, some kids will ride by the window on a magic carpet that the gypsies brought to town. I also have an A.W. Tozer collection on my nightstand. It's been a long time since I've read anything of his, but I seem to remember that he writes in a realm of magical realism as well. The Abolition of Man is a bit of a trudge. I need to read the first section again to cement it before I move on.

Produce most likely to break your heart? The avocado. I don't like them AT ALL (I think it's the texture) but everyone else in my family strenuously disagrees. So I pick up approximately 817 different avocados before eventually purchasing two (at $2.49 each for organic) that feel exactly as they should, supposedly. Then I plan an entire evening meal around them only to cut them open and find an oily, rotting mess. Or sometimes, they will look fine when you first cut them open so you will begin to feed them to your children but then your child who is old enough to discern when something isn't quite right will say, "Mommy, the avocado tastes funny," only by then you've already shoveled half of it into your other child's mouth and then he will have terrible, unspeakable diapers for two entire days and nights.

Have you ever wondered why you meet people named Christian but never anyone named Muslim? Or Jew. Or Hindu. Or B'hai. Interesting, no?

I told Harper she was no longer allowed to use the Stinky Defense as a reason to steer clear of Hudson. Yesterday she was working on something at the kitchen table and he wandered over within a couple of feet and her face contorted and she started making this coughing, gasping sound. What's the problem? I ask. "I want my NOSE.. PROTECTED!!!" she wailed, as if an actual skunk had just sprayed his skunkness directly into her nasal canals. Again, I state wearily for the record: there was no offending smell emanating at that particular moment.

11 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

"I want my NOSE.. PROTECTED!!!"

oh, still laughing...

chrys

ari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ari said...

(The deleted comment was by me. It wasn't a complete thought, but would have been better than the black mark on your permanent record. Whoops. I realize its 2008, but I'm still new.)

I laughed out loud at Harper. She is truly truly truly a funny kid, with an incredible control of vocabulary. Restraint is learned later, yes?

Ken said...

Patti,
My mom puts steak seasoning on sliced avacodo....mmm, mmm, good! Kenneth, who has been known to be a picky eater, LOVES this avacodo this way. Just a little sprinkle and it gives it a whole new flavor. Of course, the texture is still the same.....: (

-carrie

seymour said...

The avocado is no less than the finest food on the face of the earth.

On another note. Humpty Dumpty story has been a problem for me.

All the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't put Humpty together again.

Well. Perhaps. If I MAY SUGGEST. Giving the horses first shot probably did not help anything. I mean really. Maybe letting an animal with opposable thumbs try first would have been a better choice.

I can picture the onlookers... "the horses are smashing him beyond repair..."

Reply: "SHHHHH. Those are the KING'S horses you're talking about."

Ken said...

OK, just for the record: I do know how to spell. Avocado just messed me up and I kept reversing the o and a. I've been packing for Disney for 3 days straight....I'm staying up worrying about the possibilities of accidentally leaving 1 child there......and just wondering what vacationing w/ my parents will really be like.....avocado caught me off guard. Sorry!

Ken finsihes in Dec. Did I tell you that? He called HBU and had an over the phone interview w/ a company in The Woodlands. I'll keep you posted.

Carrie

Patti said...

Carrie!!! Move to Houston!!!!! Move to Houston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seymour said...

Would you like to put in a good word for him at HBU? What department is he considering?

Margie said...

This cracks me up. Elizabeth sometimes does the same thing, but the phase is, "Mommy, I smell a stinky diaper!" It's true only half the time and is nearly always made when Sarah's about to destroy a "project."

Patti said...

Margie--I think the most important question is: Is it an ART project or a CRAFT project? I'm still chuckling over that.

Margie said...

Patti, it's sometimes hard to say because many of her projects involve either wads of toilet paper (Art?) or her magnet castle (not Art, but definitely not Craft). She recently used a word like "artisty," as in "This is my artisty," but it referred to a completed puzzle. Which, I can definitively say, is not Art, even though I believe I have, at sometime in my life, seen completed jigsaws framed on walls. Is it Art if it's framed?