Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Look Daddy, a weak!

So on Friday morning I awoke at 6:45 and heard Hudson talking quietly on the monitor. He is sleeping much better these days, thankfully, but usually wakes up around 5:30 or 6, so 6:45 was a delightful new development. The husband (who incidentally has asked that I not use his name on the blog for reasons pertaining to something Very Mysterious that I Dare Not Mention) got up to go get him and after a couple of minutes whispered into the monitor that he needed a little backup. Even the overnight diaper was not enough to contain 12 hours of excretion and there had been a leak. As I was pulling off sheets, Harper woke up and the husband went to get her, perhaps thinking it would be an endeavor less excretory. Well, it turned out she had sprung a leak as well. So as he was getting her into some dry clothes she said, "Look Daddy, a weak!" and he said something like yes, you had a leak, Hudson had a leak, we're all very leaky this morning. Only that wasn't what she meant. She pointed to the ceiling and in one corner there was water. Seeping. He went into their bathroom for further investigation and the paint on the ceiling was bulging and dripping. At this point the husband kicks into Hazmat mode: "Assume it's toilet water!! No one in the bathroom!!No one in the bedroom!!" The maintenance team arrived fairly expediently considering it was 7 am and ascertained that the deluge had originated in the apartment two floors above ours and was, to our relief, bathtub and not toilet related. We've been at my parents' for a few days (yet again) so the sheet-rock, paint, and carpet could be fixed. We got back today and it looks pretty good and, more importantly, smells pretty good. It took Harper the better part of the trip there to understand that we had to leave the apartment because the ceiling was leaking and not, as she seemed to believe, because she had been leaking.

Yesterday at breakfast she said, "I want you to take Hudson for a long walk." Oh, that's somewhat charitable, I'm thinking. Then, "I want you to take Hudson for a long walk...and I want him to never come back." The last phrase was whispered. Which begs the question that if she knew she needed to whisper it, why did she think she could say it at all? Hudson loved being around my five year old niece Susannah. He lavished her with all of the affection he wishes he could bestow upon Harper. She is, thankfully, a much more gracious recipient.

3 comments:

seymour said...

Hazmat. Well. If the water HAD BEEN toilet water.... Does anyone really want his or her child to dance in puddles of toilet water? Decidedly not. Perhaps my vocal cautions were a bit more than would have been necessary to keep the sanitary separated from the disease ridden poopoo water. I believe my error on the side of sanitation is eternally preferable to the error on the opposite side. I wonder if the moon was full: Hudson - Leak; Harper - Leak; Ceiling - Leak. Interesting.

bethany said...

The first time we told Liam that I was pregnant with Blythe (he was 2), his response was, "good because this guy (thumb-pointing to his infant brother Burke) cries too much." give it another year. she'll come around.

Margie said...

This is great. I'm interested to know more about the Mysterious Something, I love the perfect child dialect you conveyed, and am happy that Hudson found Susannah. The happy ending.