In last Sunday's paper five of the eleven wedding announcements included dogs. That's almost 50%. Those announcements are expensive. I think you probably pay by the word. Folks, YOUR DOG CAN'T READ. Never will. And the people who read your wedding announcement may care even less about the fact that you'll be sharing your new home with your dogs than they do what kind of flowers were in your bridesmaids' bouquets. Weddings and wedding announcements actually merit an entire post one of these days. Ripe for satire. On our way home from the park this morning, the person in front of us had a "My schnauzer is smarter than your honor student" bumper sticker. Now, it's not as though I don't understand the sentiment. Those bumper stickers are annoying, but they probably give them away to the kids at school when they make all A's or something and there might be an occasional kid who just feels really good to see it announced right there on the back of the station wagon. So I try not to judge.
Speaking of judges, I've had quite a case of insomnia lately and when I can't sleep I think about the Supreme Court. I go through the justices in my head. I start with the boring ones (yes, I'm talking about you RBG) and save Scalia for last because he's very entertaining to think about. You should read some of his opinions. John Paul Stevens is 88 and wears bow ties. Kennedy is the resident tie-breaker. Are you getting sleepy?
Margie tagged me with some questions. Here goes:
What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was living in Arlington, Texas and taking organic chemistry. I had decided after two years of teaching high school English and two years of teaching English overseas, that what I really wanted to be was a doctor. My poorly trained, liberal arts infested brain was ill-equipped to handle such a strenuous endeavor and it had to be abandoned a couple of years (and MCATs) later.
What are five things on your to-do list?
1. Finish Tess of the D'Urbervilles for the book club. Oh, poor Tess. Thomas Hardy will beat you down.
2. Assemble a craft box so that we have something productive to do with our 95 degree afternoons.
3. Reread The Abolition of Man. (at husband's request so we can discuss it)
4. Finish unpacking closet.
5. Take a nap.
What are five snacks you enjoy?
1. raw unsalted almonds
2. pistachios
3. tortilla chips with refried black beans and cheddar cheese
4. Wheat Thins with peanut butter
5. Hummus with baby carrots
and, on a less healthy note:
6. Cheez-its (I know. Don't judge.)
7. Milk Duds (ditto)
What would you do if you were a millionaire?
I would buy a hammock. Which would necessitate a yard with numerous large, leafy trees.
Name some of the places you've called home.
Port Neches, Texas
College Station, Texas
Grapevine, Texas
Szigetszentmiklos, Hungary
Fort Worth, Texas
Houston
What are some of your bad habits?
I am lazy and messy. I procrastinate.
What are some jobs you've held?
high school English teacher
EFL teacher
substitute teacher
clerk in pediatric ER
teacher in a children's hospital (coolest teaching job EVER)
Whom are you tagging?
Robin--have you done this already?
And Mr. and Mrs. Bowser should do it when they return to England.
But only if you want to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Lazy, messy, and a procrastinator? We should definitely hang out more since we are so much alike! Maybe it's a Golden Triangle thing :)
Also, during your bouts with insomnia, maybe you could come up with an acronym for the justices that would help me remember all of them.
Man, I so wish you lived closer. I think we'd be fabulous friends. I think you're hilarious. AND- bonus-I am also a lazy, messy procrastinator. Ugh.
BTW, you'll be interested to know that I played Tess in "The Trial of Tess", our senior AP Brit Lit finale. It lasted for weeks and was even televised in our fair hometown. I loved my costume and, most importantly, I (Tess) was found innocent. What a relief!
To celebrate my innocence I sported an "I Survived the Trial of Tess" bumper sticker on my vintage VW Bug until I went away to A&M (b/c HS bumper stickers were so immature. But probably still more mature than a "My schnauzer is smarter than your honor student" bumper sticker. Yes?)
Are you going to home school? I realize I don't know you at all but my perception and opinionated nature leads me to believe that you should. ;)
Chrys
Mr. and Mrs. Rives, Please let me know when we can get together to get your wills and other ancillary documents drafted. :)
Your comment made me laugh, Seymour.
We are free to meet at your earliest convenience.
I'm working on an acronym Jamie. It's hard with just one vowel provided by Alito. Perhaps we'll incorporate first names too.
Oh, if only Angel Clare had had access to the Abilene t.v. station! I was just thinking yesterday how odd it must be for high school students today to understand what the big deal was with the Loss of Virtue. Thanks for the compliments, Chrys. Equipped or not, we are planning to homeschool. I'm beginning to get a little apprehensive as it gets closer. The thought of teaching my own little people to read and do math makes my palms clammy.I have to confess that I was a little disappointed to read that you were an American History teacher--all this time I've been telling myself that your vast creativity must be thanks to your elementary ed background. I have lots of learning to do.
I grew up in Arlington (lived there for 18 years) and was there ten years ago, too.
You've gotten me interested in the Abolition of Man. I'm thinking of reading it, too. I was too afraid to admit to procrastination in the tag but it, too, is a bad habit of mine. Kids kind of force confrontation with it, though; it's impossible to procrastinate feeding or caring for them, isn't it?
Patti,
I'm in PN until Sun. We're visiting my folks. We went tubing in the Neches today and, SURPRISE!, we didn't grow any extra arms or legs from all the toxic waste while there. : ) Seriously, we had a fun time. We also took the kids swimming at the Pompano and ran into Russell Hawkins. He and Julie have divorced and have been for 2 years. I didn't know that. Did you? Both have remarried. Julie lives in Nederland and Russell in the same addition as my parents. In fact, he lives just down the street from the Halls. Can't wait to see who else I run into while I'm here! : )
Carrie
Carrie-
I did know. Sad.
I think it was you and your dad I went skiing with (though it might have been the Davis or Spivey family) in the Neches one time and while I was in the water waiting for the boat to pull me up this enormous swamp deviant THING jumped out of the water and arched over my head before I got up. I'm pretty sure I've never skied so fast in my life. It seems like every time I go home my mom tells me about someone new who has a bizarre form of cancer or some other mysterious malady. Hm, could it BE those huge black clouds of sludge puffing out of the refineries might not be so innocuous after all??
Post a Comment