Monday, June 9, 2008

Nomads, we

Sorry for the unannounced hiatus. We moved. And by 'we' I mean to say that the kids and I stayed at my parents' and the husband did absolutely everything. He's a wonder. We got home Friday afternoon and walked in to the new place and even the pictures had been hung. Everyone has a bedroom here and it's so massive (around 1300 square feet, I think) that we had to buy our first baby monitor so we could hear Hudson. True to his Batboy beginnings, he refused to go to sleep until we moved his crib into his closet. But at least he's out of our closet. In a few weeks we're going to move him out into the vast expanse of open space that is his room.

I went to a party a couple of weeks ago for my friend Lauren's birthday and guess what we did? That's right!! We square danced! How did you guess that? It was really, really fun even though I had to pretend to be a boy because my boy was home with my sleeping children.

I finally saw the documentary "My Kid Could Paint That" that I mentioned a few months ago. It was really compelling. And sad, really. You should watch it. Interesting questions about the nature of art and inspiration. And marriage. And parenthood. And whether or not documentary filmmakers can be impartial.

I never used to read "Peanuts" when I was a kid, but I really enjoy it now. I've decided that Harper and Hudson are like Lucy and Linus. Hudson has even taken to toting his blanket around. My favorite one was a few Sundays ago and Lucy had put together a felt story board and was entertaining Linus and he was so appreciative and complimentary right up until he realized she had cut the felt characters out of his blanket. Seriously funny. I could SO see that happening around here.

We get "free" cable at the new apartment and night before last, this actual sentence came out of my mouth as I was watching "Man vs. Wild":
"Bear has diarrhea! Do you want to watch??"
Not surprisingly, the husband politely declined. I'm also finding the Home and Garden channel particularly addictive. The one show where the couple looks at the three different houses in their price range?? That is high drama.

10 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

funny post as usual. glad you got a big, new place. can't believe your husband moved everything--what a dream!

sorry i missed the bears. that's quality television.

will check out "my kid..." on netflix. thanks for the rec.

chrys

Robin said...

1300 square feet! And not having to do any of the moving/unpacking! Sounds wonderful.

seymour said...

Robin, while Patti did not have to move anything, she did do a fair amount of unpacking.

Robin said...

I knew it was too good to be true.

Jamie said...

Don't you love HGTV? I know cable is a luxury that I can live without (and have lived without) but between HGTV and the Food network, I look at it more as continuing education than entertainment.

Ken said...

Patti,
Found my old N-D-N-ette boots and passed them on to Carrigan. She's marched all over Waco in them!! Also passed on my old cheerleading outfits. Was my waist ever really that small?
Carrigan had her dance recital today. Too cute!! I'll send you pics soon.
I continue to read your blog regularly. You make me smile regularly.
Love, Carrie

Patti said...

Carrie--I have GOT to get up in my parents' attic and find all of that stuff. Harper would go crazy for the taps on those boots!! I think the headdress might terrify her at this point, but the Warrior cheerleader bib skirt would probably be a big hit. There is a picture from Leo Weeks of you, me, Kathy and Holli still hanging on the wall in my old bedroom and I giggle every time I look at it.
Has the Disneyworld trip happened yet? Did the kids think it measured up to the Heritage Festival?

Ken said...

Yes, the bib skirt was a huge hit for us. She also like the soph. outfit w/ the beads hanging on the side. Along w/ the outfits were pictures of our senior show. Such big hair, such little bodies, such fun memories.
Disney comes in Aug. We're ready, but trying to brace ourselves for the heat that comes along w/ the fun.
We're kidless this week. My parents have all 4 until Fri. I love my kids, but this break is so relaxing! Especially on the hills of baseball season and dance recital...uniforms, costumes, practices, rehearsals...I'm tired!!: )
Carrie

bethany said...

I've had this video in my Netflix rental for a few weeks. It finally came last week, now I'm motivated to watch it.That's hilarious about Linus/Hudson; Blythe's the same way. very entertaining -- thanks.

Robin said...

We watched My Kid Could Paint That last night. Sad indeed.