It's just too hot to write anything good. I realize it's only June. I realize I live in Houston. I realize the futility of complaining. But there it is. We watched "Charlie Wilson's War" a few nights ago and it got me thinking about some things. Not the actual events depicted in the movie, because I'm pretty immune to Aaron Sorkin and his agenda, though the guy is masterful with dialogue. I had read a few articles pointing out the overt creative license that had been taken. It's Shakespearean (see Henry IV and V) and biblical (see Abraham, David, Jonah, Paul..) to dramatize a man's ascent from depravity to nobility. But Sorkin seems to think it necessary-- he makes the depravity seem like an integral part of the greatness. Like if Charlie Wilson hadn't been so fond of cocaine and the company of disreputable women it wouldn't have been quite as impressive for him to be concerned about the Afghan rebels and their desperate attempts to fight off the Soviet army. So, that annoys me. Then the movie ends with Wilson, who had convinced our government to bankroll the war effort for upwards of $500 million, unable to get anyone in Congress to give him a measly million to help rebuild schools in the war torn country once the Soviets finally got out. It ANNOYS ME NO END when people romanticize Education (I capitalize it so you'll say it out loud in a dreamy voice) this way. So we're led to believe if we had JUST gotten those schools built the Taliban never would have taken root as they had and we'd all be visiting the World Trade Center this summer and Bin Laden would be teaching Business Ethics at the new NYU branch that's opening in Abu Dhabi next year. If only it were that simple. I don't honestly know how Americans can look at the (mostly) sad state of our education system and think that we have much of anything to offer there. On a less pessimistic note, the next night I caught most of a documentary about David McCullough, the historian behind John Adams and Truman and 1776. If you haven't read any of his books you just should because they will entertain you and make you smarter. It turns out, he is the opposite of Charlie Wilson. He writes and he paints and he studies and he loves his wife of 54 years and their five children. He writes his books on a typewriter in a little wooden shed sans computer and telephone. He writes about history and it is compelling and far better than anything Aaron Sorkin could write. Muck wallowing is not a prerequisite for greatness. That should be a high school debate topic: "RESOLVED. That muck wallowing is not a prerequisite for greatness. " I was on the debate team briefly my senior year. It was an extreme departure from my other activities of hair teasing and high kicks and decorating the locker of my football player, and was, not surprisingly, a dismal failure. It's depressing in so many ways that our topic was immigration. All that's new is old again.
Today Harper was doing something that Hudson thought was funny and he was giggling like crazy and she shouted, "STOP LAUGHING HUDSON! YOU MAY NOT SMILE HUDSON." He defied her and laughed even harder. I had a parallel Peanuts to show you but I don't know how to make it fit. It makes me want to go write in a shed with my typewriter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
amen!
love your writing.
chrys
p.s. my kid can paint that arrived a few days ago. now i need to remember to watch it.
I will now read John Adams or Truman or 1776, maybe all if I can. I need 'more' educated friends to select them for me. Voila! I like David McCullough already.
And I can feel Harper commanding me not to smile at her commanding Hudson not to laugh. In the spirit of Hudson, it makes it more difficult to suppress. Piper's funniest command was "SHARE!" and now its (and she taps her teeny index finger to the ground by her "Here, Mommy."
My parents knew (or knew of) Charlie Wilson and, discreetly, let it be known that he wasn't one to be looked up to. Because I knew what little I knew before the movie, I decided not to see it. That's probably terribly narrow-minded, but I don't see enough movies anyway to use one of my passes on that one. And David M. is a favorite. I dearly loved John Adams and have 1776 on my to-read list. He's interviewed in today's Parade Magazine. I loved this richly-written post.
Just reading past-posts and I realized that little Miss Harper is now old enough to be in my pre-school class! I will be returning to 5 day/week teaching until noon everyday since my youngest will be entering kindergarten....sigh. I will have 2 days of 3 year olds and 3 days of 4 year olds. Confusing, I know. I would LOVE to teach Miss Harper. How about moving to Waco or a close surrounding community? Waco Baptist Academy's tuition is fairly reasonable. However, if you work there, even part time, you get a nice break! : )
We need to visit soon!
Carrie
Thanks Chrys! Let me know what you think of "MLCPT".
Hello Ari! Be warned that his books tend to be loooooong, so it may take a year or so for a mom of two under two to finish. But so worth it.
Margie--one of the things that irritated me most about Wilson was when he said that he could spend so much time focusing on the war because he represented the only district in Congress (around Lufkin, right?) that essentially asked nothing of him. Which he possibly meant as a compliment but struck me as such a ridiculous thing for a Congressman to say. It pretty much shoots down the whole idea of "all politics is local." Okay, Charlie Wilson rant officially over.
Carrie--I know, I can't believe she is three already. Astonishing. I do wish we lived closer. Alas.
i love me some aaron sorkin dialogue - i say, give me the american president, a few good men, sports night, and west wing - i was not so hip oin the studio 60 on the sunset strip though
masterful dialogue is right!
Shane--you might like "Charlie Wilson". Philip Seymour Hoffman is very fun to listen to.
Post a Comment